Master of Science in Urban Forestry
Southern University Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge, USA
Earliest start date
Explore scholarship opportunities to help fund your studies
The Urban Forestry Master of Science Graduate Program was established in the fall of 1998. The mission of the graduate program is to provide graduate students with a curriculum that offers sound academic training and experiential learning activities for professional career positions in governmental agencies, research organizations, and private firms. The program utilizes an interdisciplinary, total quality management approach to train students so that they can ultimately address critical issues and concerns in the science and management of urban forestry and natural resources. Each student will follow a prescribed program of course work and conduct a thesis research or capstone project tailored toward emerging issues or problems in urban forestry.
The overall objectives of the program in urban forestry are:
- To develop student’s ability to synthesize relevant knowledge and skills in urban forestry and related disciplines for sound urban forestry practices.
- To extend advanced training in urban forestry to high school teachers for the advancement of the art and science of urban forestry and natural resources.
- To provide the latest technology and training to tree care professionals in order to preserve and protect the urban environment.
- To academically prepare students for study at the doctoral level at various universities in the nation.
- To initiate and sustain collaborative efforts with various governmental, public and private and organizations to address issues and concerns in urban forestry and to promote urban forest health and natural resource conservation.
- To conduct research aimed at addressing natural resource issues in urban environment.