Master of Science in Finance
Simon Fraser University - Beedie School of Business
CAD 33,500 / per year *
Earliest start date
* domestic students - citizens & permanent residents of Canada; international students: $46,400 CAD
Understand the role of finance in business. This full-time, 16-month SFU Beedie MSc Finance program is based in downtown Vancouver. It teaches you the fundamentals of finance, asset pricing, market risk management, and credit risk management.
It’s not all theory. You’ll also get the chance to be a part of the Student Investment Advisory Service (SIAS) Fund to manage an investment portfolio with a market value in excess of $19.9 million, develop a personalized career plan, and secure employment opportunities.
Who it’s for
We designed the MSc Finance program to meet the global demand for skilled risk management and investment management professionals. The program is ideal for early- to mid-career professionals with a facility for quantitative finance.
Photo courtesy of Simon Fraser University - Beedie School of Business
What you’ll learn
The full-time, 16-month curriculum is based on a foundation of financial theory and real-world experience. Choose between two streams: Investment Management and Risk Management.
Where it can take you
Strong finance skills are essential for any organization. Be prepared to succeed in a career in investment management, risk management and any area that calls for a thorough understanding of financial theory and well-developed quantitative and analytical skills. Potential employers include banks and financial institutions, investment and public accounting firms, FinTech and other start-ups, securities regulators, governments, management consulting firms, and insurance companies.
The MSc Finance program is a full-time, 16-month program delivered in four semesters. You’ll begin with two courses held online in mid-July, requiring about three to four hours of total work per week. This equips you with foundational skills that enable you to allow to dive into your studies and the program content immediately.
- 16 months, full-time
- Online delivery for introductory courses and in-class delivery
- Choose to focus on financial risk management or investment management stream
- July start date
At the heart of downtown Vancouver is SFU Beedie’s Segal Graduate School campus, a heritage bank reimagined as a 60,000 square-foot landmark housing classrooms, meeting rooms and study spaces.
It’s centrally located with easy access to public transit, which makes getting to and from class exceptionally convenient.
Plus, you’re surrounded by cafes, shops, and restaurants. It’s a neighborhood as vibrant as any.
- A four-year undergraduate degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.33/4.33 (B+) based on the last 60 credits of undergraduate courses.
- We require a minimum GMAT score of 550. We also accept the GRE exam (minimum score of 155 in each section). The GMAT will be waived for candidates who have successfully completed any level of the CFA exam.
- All applicants must be fluent in English. If your primary language is not English, you must demonstrate sufficient command of the English language through one of the two acceptable tests: TOEFL or IELTS.
- If you are not a Canadian citizen or don’t have landed immigrant status, you must have a valid student visa.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.