MSc Molecular Microbiology
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield, United Kingdom
GBP 17,205 / per course *
31 May 2024
Earliest start date
* for international/EU students | £10,310 for UK students
Gain a detailed understanding of contemporary microbiology – researching the industrial, commercial and medical aspects of the discipline.
- Explore the fundamental principles that underpin environmental, industrial and medical microbiology.
- Learn how microorganisms cause disease and interact with the immune system and what practical steps can be taken to prevent and treat these conditions.
- Consider how bacteria and fungi can be used as tools in a diverse range of industries.
- Develop and enhance your laboratory skills from experimental design, through utilisation of pertinent techniques, to interpretation of results.
This course has been designed to respond to the increasing need for highly skilled microbiologists across a range of industries. You'll undertake the critical task of translating basic laboratory medical research into clinical and commercial applications.
You experience a vibrant, challenging and supportive range of learning activities as you progress through the course. The overall aim of the programme is to give you sound preparation for a career in microbiology.
This course covers subjects such as diagnosis, understanding, treatment, and prognosis of disease, and biotechnology applications such as the production of drugs, environmental bioremediation.
Practical skills are developed throughout the course and you gain experience in molecular microbiology and other related techniques]\. All practical classes are led by academic staff whose research incorporates the latest microbiological and biotechnological techniques.
You learn through
- lectures and seminars
- workshops and tutorials
- laboratory classes
- a research project
- experience days
Research skills and statistical analysis are developed throughout the programme and applied to relevant microbiological problems/case studies. New elements of genomics and proteomics have been introduced allowing students to apply basic science knowledge and skills to experimental study design, and management and data analysis. In the final trimester, students' apply their skills to a two month research project, working with an academic who is a specialist in the field, exploring a current microbiological application.
Embedded in various modules are opportunities to visit organisations using microbiology practically in the healthcare, biotechnology and food and beverage industries. For example students studying microbial biotechnology have opportunities to visit a brewery and students enrolled on medical microbiology modules will get the chance to visit a clinical microbiology pathology laboratory.
This course prepares you for a career in
- academic research
- the industrial biotechnology sector
- the health biotechnology sector
- PhD study
- the pharmaceutical industry
- food and beverage industries
Scholarships and Funding
We are offering competitive scholarships, discounts and awards for international fee paying students.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.