Imagine yourself here
Combining the strength of a research university with dedicated faculty who support innovation and discovery, SDSU provides you with the foundation you need to reach your highest academic potential and achieve your professional goals.
Since its founding in 1897, the university has grown to become a leading public research university and a federally-designated Hispanic-serving Institution. Each year, SDSU provides more than 36,000 students with the opportunity to participate in an academic curriculum distinguished by direct contact with faculty and an international emphasis that prepares them for a global future.
History, Mission, and Leadership
SDSU is the oldest higher education institution in San Diego, uniquely situated only 30 minutes north of the U.S.-Mexico border on Kumeyaay land. Our community is fully committed to excellent teaching, meaningful research, and service to our regional community and others we serve throughout the state, across the nation, and internally.
We have an incredible past, and a powerful future ahead of us, marked by:
- A five-year strategic plan, “We Rise We Defy: Transcending Borders, Transforming Lives,” launched in 2020.
- The development of SDSU Mission Valley is a mixed-use, medium-density development that is transit-oriented and that will expand the university’s educational, research, entrepreneurial, and technology transfer programs.
- The expansion of the border-connected SDSU Imperial Valley has been infused with new investments to introduce new programs and student services.
- The growth of SDSU Global Campus is growing educational access to adult learners through the creation of new degree programs.
- Our campus diversity is our pride. SDSU is recognized for its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. About 54 percent of students are of color, and the university is recognized for its military and veteran program and ranked as a top college for LGBTQ students.
For generations, SDSU has overcome hurdles and defied expectations, forging ahead to deliver academic excellence, student success, and groundbreaking research. We will continue to do so as we build SDSU’s new chapter of inclusive opportunity for more students, reimagining a university designed to thrive for many years to come, and impacting San Diego, our border region, and the world as never before.