MSc Risk and Investment Management Queen's University Belfast
You have an interest in risk management and financial regulation. You want a career in areas such as corporate risk, compliance, consultancy, or academia. You want exemptions from the Professional Risk Manager (PRM) exams
Studying risk and investment management looks at how organisations and investors should understand, evaluate and address relevant risks to maximise the chances of their objectives being achieved.
The programme equips students with the cutting-edge risk management tools and strategies used by leading financial firms and regulatory bodies. Academics who teach on this programme are at the cutting edge of their fields, many also have relevant industry experience.
Risk And Investment Management Highlights
- This course has an academic partnership with GARP (Global Association of Risk Professionals), helping prepare students for the Financial Risk Manager (FRM) examinations. This course is part of the PRMIA (The Professional Risk Managers' International Association) Risk Accreditation Program, giving students exemptions from Professional Risk Manager (PRM) exams I and II.
- Students have the opportunity to hear from industry professionals who deliver guest lectures. Students have the opportunity to network afterwards.
- Certain classes are held in the Trading Room. Students have access to Bloomberg software, a market leader in financial news, data and analytics, which is used by many financial institutions. The Trading Room allows for an interactive and exciting learning environment that brings textbook theory to life.
- Students may wish to join the Student Managed Fund, which seeks to achieve positive returns through superior stock selection using quantitative and qualitative fundamental analysis. This is a real money student-managed investment fund. The goal is to achieve consistent long term positive returns by optimally managing downside risk. The Fund seeks to mitigate risk through sufficient diversification and through a series of strict rules and procedures.
- Students will use and have access to software such as R, Excel, Matlab, and databases such as Thomson one banker and Bloomberg.
Risk management is currently, and will continue to be, a hot spot for graduate recruitment. As many financial firms are substantially expanding their risk management functions, this Master's degree is likely to open a wide range of new and exciting career opportunities. After graduation there is a wide variety of roles available for our students, some of which will suit those with mathematical skills who wish to utilise cutting-edge quantitative modelling techniques and work in collaboration with traders to develop bespoke financial products. Other roles involve portfolio and product risk management or monitoring firm-wide business risks either in-house or as part of an external regulatory team. Graduates from this degree have quickly secured high-quality posts, most of which are in risk management functions.
Graduates have gone on to work for companies/institutions such as EY, Accenture, HSBC, KMC Wealth Management, University of Bath, Queen’s University Belfast, CCGroup Inc., CNO Financial Group, Clune Construction Company, Edelweiss Financial Services, Home Credit China.
Working in roles such as Financial Services Assurance, Management Consultant (Finance and Risk), Global Graduate Analyst, Product Support Associate, Data Analyst, Assistant Project Manager, Associate — Structured Finance, Team Lead, PhD Candidate.
Located in: Frankfurt, Dublin, San Francisco Bay Area, Chicago, Belfast, Greater New York City Area, New Delhi, Shenzhen, Kuala Lumpur.
Queen's postgraduates reap exceptional benefits. Unique initiatives, such as Degree Plus and Researcher Plus bolster our commitment to employability, while innovative leadership and executive programmes alongside sterling integration with business experts help our students gain key leadership positions both nationally and internationally.
- Asset Pricing
- Corporate Finance
- Financial Regulation and Risk Management
- Research Methods in Finance
- Credit Risk Management
- Enterprise Risk Management and Risk Analytics
- Time-Series Financial Econometrics
Applied Research Project
Learning and Teaching
Learning opportunities available with this course are outlined below:
- Morning / Afternoon
- Full-time option: modules are taught morning/afternoon/evening.
Assessments associated with the course are outlined below:
Assessment is by a variety of methods, including individual coursework, group work, oral presentations, simulations, case studies, class tests, examinations and dissertation or work-based research project.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
How do I fund my study?
The Department for the Economy will provide a tuition fee loan of up to £5,500 per NI / EU student for postgraduate study.
A postgraduate loans system in the UK offers government-backed student loans of up to £10,609 for taught and research Master's courses in all subject areas. Criteria, eligibility, repayment and application information are available on the UK government website.
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.