MSc in in Aquaculture
Norwegian University of Life Sciences NMBU
Earliest start date
* no tuition fees. However, most students must pay a small semester fee.
What can you use this qualification for?
Manager in the fish farming industry, quality control, governmental or extension positions, developing new aquaculture species, managing breeding programs, sales or administration. The Master degree is also a stepping stone to an academic career.
What will you learn?
The program gives you broad and interdisciplinary strength and specialization in subjects of your choice. We offer courses in fish breeding, fish nutrition and planning and design of aquacultural plants, and you will get insight and knowledge about how those components/factors affect the effectiveness of production and influence the economic yield.
The study starts with introductory courses in physiology, health care, and water quality, before the fundamentals of genetics and breeding, fish nutrition and also practical and theoretical aspects of fish production and technology is covered. The aim of the study is to give the students broad practical and theoretical knowledge in different fields, before they complete their master thesis within a focus area, which can be chosen from fish breeding, fish nutrition, production technology or another area of interest, e.g. water or product quality. The master thesis project is normally taken over one year and offers great flexibility in terms of project type and location.
A candidate who has completed the education is expected to have achieved the following learning outcomes, defined in knowledge, skills, and competence:
- Can select the best production animals and how to supply their nutritional needs in different production environments.
- Know how to secure animal welfare in modern farm animal production systems.
- Able to keep him-/herself up-to-date in scientific literature and new technology.
- Able to place practical solutions into a broader social perspective, such as utilization of resources, environment, and animal welfare.
- High competence in modern aquaculture production.
- Competence to solve practical problems and participate in development projects.
- High competence in animal breeding, nutrition and production technology.