M.A. in Linguistics
Northeastern Illinois University
1 - 4 year
Full time, Part time
USD 14,839 / per semester *
Earliest start date
22 May 2023
* resident tuition 6 credit hours per semester: $412.19/credit hour. Non-resident tuition 6 credit hours per semester: $824.38/credit hour. Additional fees may apply
The M.A. in Linguistics focuses on investigating language from both theoretical and functional approaches. The dynamic curriculum combines core studies in the structure of language (phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics) with current approaches in sociolinguistics, language acquisition, psycholinguistics, language contact, world Englishes, endangered languages and language documentation, discourse analysis and identity studies.
Students develop a solid foundation in the study and understanding of human language as a convergence of genetic, psychological, and social systems and networks. Students learn to critically examine and analyze the world within and around them.
Through coursework and hands-on research, students gain knowledge of:
- The nature and structure of language
- Principles and methods of language analysis and documentation
- Relationships between language, mind, and cognition
- The nature and process of language acquisition and multilingualism
The M.A. in Linguistics prepares you for careers in areas such as:
- Language preservation
- Advertising and branding
English Language Requirements
Certify your English proficiency with the Duolingo English Test! The DET is a convenient, fast, and affordable online English test accepted by over 4,000 universities (like this one) around the world.