M.Sc. in Computer Science Nazarbayev University
The Master of Science in Computer Science Program is a two-year program (120 ECTS credits) designed to provide students with an advanced mastery of the core CS disciplines along with exposure to emerging areas (such as mobile and pervasive computing, multi-factor authentication, privacy and security, persistent data collection, “big data” analysis and data mining).
The program is designed to provide students with in-depth knowledge of basic computer science disciplines, along with the study of new industries (mobile and mass computing, multi-factor authentication, privacy and security, permanent data collection, big data analysis, and data production). Students will receive the ability to either continue their educational training at the doctoral level or immediately utilize their training in key economic sectors such as government, business, industry, health care, and education.
Students will receive the knowledge and experience that demonstrates domain expertise, and the ability to either continue their educational training at the doctoral level or immediately utilize their training in key economic sectors such as government, business, industry, health care, and education. This program is distinguished by its progressive curriculum, which includes more credits than in a typical program, with more courses, and a research thesis requirement. It offers physical resources for comprehensive learning (labs and equipment) and the diversity of the program faculty.
- Campus: Astana, Kazakhstan
- Language: English
- Delivery mode: Full-time, on-campus
- Duration: 2 years
- Total ECTS credits: 120
School of Engineering and Digital Sciences
Nazarbayev University’s School of Engineering and Digital Sciences (NU SEDS) has designed all of its programs to revolutionize the traditional engineering and science learning environment of lectures and laboratories to include modern components that engage students in project-based exercises in critical thinking.
As world-class leaders in STEM education, all NU SEDS graduates enter the global marketplace as highly skilled experts in their chosen field of study. Our graduates go on to become innovators who overcome the obstacles in Central Asia and Eurasia’s advanced technology industries.
The SEDS promotes a mission of utilizing advanced technologies and research to shape student expertise and train them in critical thinking and inventive design.
Graduates of NU SEDS are coveted in the global engineering and digital science community because of our students’ interdisciplinary perspectives essential to advancing modern industry and infrastructure.
Strategic partners of Nazarbayev University
- Duke University, Fuqua School of Business (USA)
- The National University of Singapore, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy (Singapore)
- The University of Pennsylvania (USA)
- The University of Cambridge (UK)
- Colorado School of Mines (USA)
- The University of Wisconsin-Madison (USA)
- The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (USA)
- The Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (USA)
- The Oak Ridge Associated Universities (USA)
Courses are designed with a deliberate approach that moves quickly from theory to practice. Year 1 consists mostly of core courses and 1 elective course. Year 2 consists of a choice of elective courses, a laboratory practicum, and writing a thesis. List of courses:
- CSCI 501 Software Principles and Practice
- CSCI 502 Hardware-Software Co-Design
- CSCI 536 Wireless Sensor Networks
- CSCI 544 Data Mining and Decision Support
- CSCI 591 Research Methods
- CSCI 592 Research Seminar
- CSCI 691 Thesis Proposal
- CSCI 692 Thesis
- SST 501 Teaching and Learning
- SST 502 Teaching and Practicum
- SST 503 Laboratory Practicum
- SST 504 Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Software Developer
- Database Administrator
- Computer Equipment Engineer
- Computer Systems Analyst
- Architect of Computer Networks
- Web Developer
- Head of IT Project
- Scientists in Information Research