MSc (Maritime Technology and Management)
National University of Singapore
Full time, Part time
Earliest start date
The Master of Science (Maritime Technology and Management) or MSc (MTM) seeks to train and equip graduates with key skillsets to enable next-generation port capabilities in Singapore, such as industrial systems development, big data analytics tools, and emerging port technologies (e.g., digitalization to train workers). The MSc (MTM) alumni community will function as touchpoints that the Centre for Maritime Studies (CMS) and the Department of Industrial Systems Engineering and Management (ISEM) can capitalize on for future collaboration between industry and research.
Singapore strives to be the Global Maritime Hub for Connectivity, Innovation, and Talent and a hub of excellence for shipping, port, offshore, and maritime-related businesses. We envision being the International Maritime Centre (IMC). Singapore hopes to leverage cutting-edge systems and infrastructure to become a key node in the global maritime network. Additionally, the industry sees the need for strong innovative players and a talented workforce equipped with future-ready skills and a global mindset. The MSc (MTM) aims to nurture talent with strong analytics expertise to prepare the maritime industry for digitalization and technology innovation. In line with the government’s directives, the MSc (MTM) aims to develop a strong maritime innovation ecosystem at local, regional, and global levels. Graduates will be equipped with skillsets enabling the next-generation maritime and logistics capabilities in Singapore and worldwide, including the latest data analytics, port, maritime, and logistics technologies.
Why Study This Program?
The main features that distinguish our program from existing graduate programs in maritime studies are:
- A 15-week internship practicum (for full-time students) in a maritime-related company aims to provide students with the opportunity to integrate knowledge and theory on maritime technology and management acquired during the program in a practical setting.
- A maritime team project (for part-time students) on a maritime-related topic that is of current relevance to maritime and adjacent industries. Part-time team projects will be purposeful and deeply integrated with core maritime content and practices. Students will imbibe the innovative spirit that is needed for creative technological solutions to be developed.
- A deep focus on programming methodology, statistics, machine learning, and data mining/analytics.
- Good blend to the international mix.
- Strong support from industry, including the Singapore Maritime and Port Authority of Singapore and PSA Singapore.
- Seminars, workshops, and industry visits would be arranged with industry partners to broaden the student's learning experience and provide intense networking opportunities with industry practitioners.
- Job placement assistance.