MSc Cyber Security and Pen Testing
Middlesex University Mauritius
Flic en Flac, Mauritius
Earliest start date
From national security to the privacy of personal communications, the smooth running of societies and economies depends on the security of computer networks. With a security breach potentially costing a company millions, highly skilled experts who can provide protection are sought-after across the globe. Technology is constantly developing and security issues are too, making this a challenging and rapidly evolving specialism.
Overview - Why Sign Up?
Network security is a rapidly evolving sector of industry. The MSc Cyber Security and Pen Testing programme is designed to meet the demands imposed by the changing corporate needs in networking and the concurrent challenges in network security. Security extends beyond the technical sphere of activity to include strategic, organisational and managerial remits across the enterprise. Developing policies, strategies and working plans to address network security, minimise security breaches incidence, mitigate its damage and shorten recovery time are essential elements for the enterprise.
Graduates of the program will be equipped with professional and employable skills and attributes such as:
- rigorous technical cyber security and penetration testing skills.
- wired and wireless network attack processes, advanced hacking techniques, and defensive measures.
- the ability to ability to apply, to critically analyse, to synthesize, to evaluate models, architectures, methods, and solutionsfor network and computer security.
- the ability to deploy and manage security solution projects.
- and the ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary team
Scholarships and Funding
You can also receive financial support to help with the cost of your studies that is based on your personal circumstances. Scholarships recognise your academic excellence and other achievements and, unlike a loan, you don't have to pay them back.
Scholarships can reduce your tuition fees or help pay your living expenses. You are only eligible to receive one scholarship award from Middlesex University.
- Computer Networks and Internetworking (15cps) – Compulsory
- Operating Systems and Application Environment (15cps) – Compulsory
- Security Solutions and Applications (30cps) – Compulsory
- Penetration Testing and Digital Forensics (30cps) – Compulsory
- Network Security and Mechanisms (15cps) – Compulsory
- Cyber Security and Legal Regulations (15cps) – Compulsory
- Individual PG Project (60cps) - Compulsory
The program is comprised of eight compulsory modules over two semesters. Amongst these, you will have the opportunity to undertake an individual project with a supervisor with specialist knowledge of their field. The program has two 30 credit modules, four 15-credit modules and one zero-credit module. Students must pass all taught modules in order to progress to the dissertation stage. Each module will have 3 contact hours per week, usually with 12 workshops/seminars and 12 laboratory sessions timetabled over 24 weeks for full-time students.
What will you gain
- A rigorous theoretical knowledge and understanding of current research issues as well as detailed practical experience of network security policy design, security issues, technologies, algorithms and protocols used in securing computer networks and associated systems. Skills that will enable students to contribute to future developments in the field of Cyber Security.
- An understanding of possible security breaches, security risk analysis and mechanisms to protect computer and network communication systems.
- The ability to evaluate the vulnerabilities of wired and wireless computer networks using advanced hacking techniques and forensics tools.
- Knowledge and understanding of the legal, social, ethical and professional issues related to cyber security and pen testing.
- Skills required in developing research as well problem-solving techniques through practical project experience. By extending students’ knowledge and skills in a specialized area they will be prepared for careers in advanced research and/or industry.
Program Tuition Fee
Equipped with a hybrid skill set, you will be able to pursue several different career pathways in a promising field of industry where business operations merge with information technologies.
Your career options may include
- Information Security Analyst
- Software Security Engineer
- Security Architect
- Penetration Tester
- Information Security Crime Investigator/Forensics Expert
- Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)