Part-time MSc Financial Management
Manchester Worldwide Institute of Higher Education (South East Asia)
GBP 22,140 / per year *
02 Aug 2024
Earliest start date
* inclusive of GST
Transform your career through financial expertise
This flexible MSc equips you with the skills, knowledge and confidence that will allow you to pursue a successful career in financial management. If you are looking to upskill yourself or change careers, this course will equip you with the financial knowledge and skills sought by organisations worldwide. It will also give you a deep understanding of the financial markets in a global context.
Successful finance practitioners require a wide range of transferable skills and subject-specific knowledge in areas such as corporate finance, financial markets and financial accounting. Our MSc comprises foundational units in finance and accounting alongside advanced units in the following areas: Financial Management, Financial Markets, Financial Strategy, Private Equity, Data Analysis & Statistical Techniques and Quantitative Methods for Financial Management.
With MSc Financial Management, you will learn how to:
- Understand the interplay between well-functioning financial markets and successful companies;
- Apply a full range of financial techniques to real-life business situations;
- Search and gather relevant financial information from multiple sources, including companies’ annual reports and financial databases;
- Offer data-based solutions to complex and relevant business challenges, such as analysis of financial strategies and selecting valuable investment projects.
Our MSc Financial Management blended-learning course also offers face-to-face workshops (six days, twice each year) in two top Asia’s financial hubs, Singapore & Hong Kong. These valuable opportunities give you time to develop your global network, meet the academic team, and have full support from the lecturers. The workshops are also a chance to take time off from your day-to-day working life, focus on your studies and undertake experiential learning. You’ll apply theory to case studies based on real business problems while working in multicultural groups with colleagues from diverse professional backgrounds.
The Manchester MSc Financial Management Advantage
- Flexible Learning
Study while you work. No exams, 100% coursework & assignment based.
Studying a flexible course means you can learn while you continue to work, directly applying the skills and knowledge you learn immediately to solve your day-to-day business challenges in finance.
- Engaging Workshops
Held at leading financial hubs - Singapore & Hong Kong
Meet and network with industry peers and global experts during workshops, held over six days, twice each year at our prestigious Singapore and Hong Kong locations.
- Holistic and Well-rounded Curriculum
Enhancing your career opportunities in the world of finance
The programme's well-balanced combination of online learning excellence and face-to-face conferences with industry leaders allows you to experience finance in action. This, coupled with company visits, study trips, networking events, and career training/workshops, will equip you with the means to flourish in the finance industry upon graduation.
- Globally Recognised
Our Accounting & Finance studies is ranked Top 25 in the world
The University of Manchester is ranked 27th in the world (QS World University Ranking 2020) while Alliance Manchester Business School’s Accounting and Finance Studies is ranked 21st globally (QS World Rankings 2020).
- Cutting Edge Research
Experience the University's one-of-a-kind Data Visualisation Observatory
The University of Manchester is an international powerhouse for Financial Technology (FinTech) research, teaching and innovation. The first of its kind in the UK, its Data Visualisation Observatory offers interactive 3D visualisation of data to visualising monetary flows and stock market behaviours in Fintech.
- Alumni & Networking
Connecting you to a powerful global network of business contacts
Join the ranks of our senior management and C-Suites working in top financial institutions across the globe. When you join our MSc Financial Management programme, you become part of an extensive network of the 90,000 AMBS alumni across 190 countries worldwide.
Programme at a Glance
Each unit consists of 15 credits (excluding the final project) and requires a total of 150 hours of study per unit.
There are no exams within the MSc. Summative assessment comprises individual and group coursework, with two assessments per unit. We will provide online quizzes and activities through each unit as methods of formative assessments.
The final project will consist of a group project.
The course will equip you with:
- A deep understanding of the tasks that financial managers and other similar finance practitioners undertake and the objectives they pursue;
- The ability to describe and interpret the functioning of financial markets;
- An understanding of why and how successful companies rely on and benefit from well-functioning financial markets;
- The skills and knowledge to analyse and synthesise complex information from corporations and financial markets, and offer solutions to challenging problems;
- The capability to search and gather relevant financial information from several sources such as companies’ annual reports and financial databases;
- Flexible and relevant transferable skills that finance practitioners require in their career.
Your future career prospects & pathways
Our MSc Financial Management programme is designed to prepare you for a successful career in the world of finance, wherever in the world you plan to work. This course will enable you to develop professional financial and management skills alongside the expertise required to make you a valuable asset in your work from day one of your careers.
This MSc Financial Management programme primes you for a myriad of roles. Learn how to become highly relevant whether you aim to work within the finance function of large organisations or aspire to work in smaller businesses where the ability to control finances is essential, or even if you would like to carve out a career in public sector organisations.
Graduates from this Master’s degree may find employment in prominent industries such as Banking, Finance, Capital Markets, Asset/Wealth Management, Venture Capital & Private Equity or Consulting.
Our AMBS graduates (MSc Finance, MSc Accounting and Finance) have gone on to secure lucrative job roles in their career journeys, with some of the most relevant opportunities to this Master’s degree including, but not limited to, careers such as:
- Bank Managers
- Business Development Specialists
- Business Transformation Consultants
- Corporate Tax Associates
- Data Analysts
- Finance and Accounting Managers
- Financial Analysts
- Financial Reporting Officers
- Investment Bank Analysts
- Risk Analysts
- Trading Accountants Managers
- …and more.
Our AMBS graduates have gone on to work in various different organisations and sectors including:
J.P.Morgan, Citic Securities, HSBC, UOB, pwc, Unilever, KPMG, SIEMENS, SVOA, IFS Capital Limited, AFFINBANK, Bloomberg, Mercedes-Benz, ace, krunsgri, HUAWEI
Units 1 - 4
Unit 1 - Foundations of Accounting
- Introduction to Accounting
- Accounting conventions and techniques to support organisational decision-making
- Foundations and principles of management and financial accounting
Unit 2 - Foundations fo Finance
- Introduction to Finance
- Time value of money and asset valuation
- Cost of capital and capital budgeting techniques
Unit 3 - Corporate Finance
- Introduction to corporate finance
- Cost of capital estimation and advanced capital budgeting techniques
- The choice between equity capital and debt capital
Units 4 - Global Financial Markets and Institutions
- Overview of the global financial system
- Banking and financial regulation, investment banking and private equity
- Risk management and hedging strategies
Units 5 - 8
Unit 5 - Data Analysis and Statistical Techniques
- Basic econometric tools to estimate relationships between variables
- Formulation of empirical hypotheses to be tested
- Interpretation of results from statistical and econometric outputs
Unit 6 - Financial Statement Analysis
- Strengths, limitations and developments in contemporary financial reporting
- Interpretation and assessment of firm performance
- Credit and debt analysis to predict the likelihood of financial distress
Unit 7 - International Financial Management
- Principles underlying financial decision-making by multinational corporations
- Foreign direct investment decisions, exchange risk and hedging techniques
- Political risk measurement and management
Unit 8 - Quantitative Methods for Financial Management
- Sophisticated statistical tools for finance practitioners
- Analysis and forecasts of time series data
- Empirical interactions between stock returns, exchange rates and other variables
Live Business Project
Unit 9 - Venture Captial and Private Equity
- Introduction to venture capital and private equity
- Fundraising activities by private equity investors
- Identification of capital investment opportunities and capital allocation, and management of investments to maximise returns
Unit 10 - Business Models and Financial Strategy
- Evaluation of alternative business models to create and capture value
- Short- and long-term financial decisions over the lifecycle of the firm
- Fintech and other innovative sources of finance
Unit 11 - Group Project
- Identification of topic to study and formulation of plan to collect information and data on the topic
- Selection of suitable methods and analysis of information
- Dissemination of the results of the study
You’ll benefit from the flexibility of an online course, complemented by valuable face-to-face learning through our six-day workshops held in Singapore and Hong Kong.
Our workshops give you an excellent opportunity to develop your global professional network and discuss experiences with colleagues working across the world in diverse professional environments. You will also meet the academic team, who will be on hand to discuss the course and answer any questions.
Enjoy time off from your day-to-day working life to spend time with your classmates, working in groups to apply theory to practice through real-life case studies based on contemporary business problems.
Please note that if travel restrictions are in place the workshops will be delivered virtually.
Program Tuition Fee
Scholarships and Funding
Financial Specialist Scholarship (FSS)
The Financial Specialist Scholarship (FSS) (previously known as the Finance Scholarship Programme) is a postgraduate scholarship programme that helps develop specialist leaders in a variety of fields in Singapore’s financial services sector. The FSS is administered by the Institute of Banking and Finance (IBF) and is open to Singapore citizens only.
University of Manchester Alumni Bursary
If you have successfully graduated with a degree at the University of Manchester or UMIST, you can receive an alumni loyalty bursary, which is a 15% discount on the tuition fees that you are personally funding.