Master in City and Public Space
ITESO - Universidad Jesuita de Guadalajara
Earliest start date
In affinity with national and international efforts to combat the environmental impacts of the construction of the environment, this master's degree responds in an interdisciplinary way to the growing environmental and social deterioration to which urban spaces are exposed on a local, territorial, national and global scale.
This program trains professionals aimed at achieving sustainability in the habitat, who attend to the problems of the city in their social and spatial dimensions.
THIS PROGRAM IS FOR YOU
This master's degree is aimed at professionals interested in the urban development of cities with an emphasis on sustainability, especially graduates in architecture, urban design, civil engineering, environmental engineering and related fields who have:
- Interest and / or experience in the academic and professional field in issues related to the problems of the city and its public spaces.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing at a professional level.
- Ability to reflect on critical situations of reality and complex problems around urban development towards sustainability.
- Ability to read and interpret technical plans.
- Ability to get involved in critical debates and informed reflections on the city and sustainability.
- Ability to identify latent problems and generate directional questions.
- Availability to work in multidisciplinary professional environments.
- Ability to propose in a coherent and pertinent way solution proposals towards the sustainability of the habitat and develop projects in an interdisciplinary way
- Management of computer-aided graphic representation software.
- Proficiency in English to consult specialized bibliographic material.
WHEN STUDYING AT ITESO
- You participate in an educational project with a comprehensive approach, which includes urban and territorial aspects, as well as sustainability in its environmental, social and economic dimensions.
- You join a tradition of interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary work of ITESO with social organizations and governmental, national and international organizations, linked to the subject of cities for more than 40 years.
- You join programs, initiatives, research projects and professional intervention focused on the social sustainability of habitat, and the link with the UNESCO-ITESO Chair in Habitat Management and Socially Sustainable Development and other UNESCO chairs with which we collaborate.
- You find an academic body of researchers and professors with experience in sustainability, social management, public spaces, urban governance, planning, urban design and participatory processes, among others.
- You access opportunities for professional academic exchange through the agreements established with the universities that belong to the Jesuit University System (SUJ), the Association of Universities entrusted to the Society of Jesus in Latin America (AUSJAL) and the Association of Ibero-American Universities of Postgraduate (AUIP).
- You have international ties with other related programs.
AS A GRADUATE OF THIS PROGRAM
- You have the necessary skills to manage the development of projects that contribute to improving coexistence, social cohesion and equity at the neighborhood, district and metropolitan scales.
- You manage processes of integral planning of the habitat for the design, recovery and / or construction of collective urban spaces.
- You promote urban governance, negotiation and the identification of social actors in decision-making processes and the design of public spaces.
- You conduct projects within the frameworks of public administration and legal frameworks for the transformation of the urban environment.
- You apply instruments for evaluating strategies, plans and projects of intervention of the collective spaces of public space at the neighborhood, district and metropolitan scales.
- You participate in the design, implementation and monitoring of public policies on sustainable urban development.
Reasons to study this master's degree
You are part of a network with social organizations and government agencies, national and international, linked to the theme of the city for more than 40 years.
- You join programs, initiatives and research and intervention projects focused on the social sustainability of the habitat.
- You will develop a project to propose real solutions.
- You will have an academic body of researchers and professors with experience in sustainability, social management, public spaces, urban governance, planning, urban design and participatory processes, among others.
- You will access agreements established with the universities that belong to the Association of Universities Trusted to the Society of Jesus in Latin America (AUSJAL).
- You will study in an ecological campus with more than 3,000 trees, equipped outdoor work areas, smart buildings and facilities equipped for people with different abilities.
- You will have laboratories such as the Design Innovation Workshops, which has the peculiarity of being a sustainable building. Each of the requirements is in line with those required by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification, which is granted by the United States Green Building Council and has worldwide validity.
- Learn more about the ITESO experience through a tour of the campus and the details of its gardens.