ITECH Lyon has been training Engineers, for more than a century, in the fields of materials (plastics, textile composites), chemistry (paints-inks-adhesives), cosmetics and leather-shoes-leather goods. ITECH Lyon is a private school created by professionals and supported by professional associations and organizations. International is at the core of ITECH Lyon that develops its presence and exchanges all over the world (from the USA to China as well as Europe).
Visit our website to learn more: www.itech.fr/en/
If teaching is the first vocation of ITECH Lyon, research and innovation are its strongholds. These translate through strong partnerships in the fields of research and development at regional, national and European.
- 500 students
- Private institute for higher education
- International exchange agreements
- Master's of Engineering recognized by the "Commission des Titres d'Ingénieur"
- Advanced Master's
ITECH, more than an institute, a hundred-year-old institution.
- ITECH was born in 1988 from the merger of ESITL and EFT, two higher education schools founded by professionals.
- ESITL (Lyon Higher School of the Textile Industries) was founded in 1840, the embodiment of the exceptional tradition of Lyon’s silk industry.
- EFT (French Tanning School), founded in 1899, is a branch of the University of Lyon’s Industrial Chemistry Institute, that firstly specialised in Leather before branching out into Plastics Engineering (with the CNAM) before adding a Paints, Inks and Adhesives department in 1969 and subsequently becoming ESCEPEA (Higher School of Leather and Paints, Inks and Adhesives) in 1983.
- Its merger with ESITL in 1988 saw the creation of ITECH and lead to the creation of a Textile department.
- ITECH, which inherited the professional expertise of both its parent schools, successfully employed the complementary nature of their teachings and the close relations they had always maintained with the world of business. In addition to these assets, ITECH offers progressive education, as its courses systematically incorporate new machines and technological developments.
ITECH Lyon was founded with the aim of combining 4 professional fields into a single course of study focusing on "polymer materials and coatings": formulation chemistry, plastics engineering, leather, and textiles. ITECH-Lyon trains engineers in the fields of polymers and their applications, particularly plastics, textiles, composites and chemistry (covering paints, inks, adhesives, and cosmetics), as well as leather and its uses (footwear, leather goods). ITECH-Lyon is a private association and a State-accredited Grande Ecole, created and supported by professional unions and companies. ITECH Lyon strengthens its worldwide presence and international exchanges through its privileged academic and industrial contracts. Innovation is ITECH-Lyon's motto, which it applies to both its courses and Research & Development. So as to respond to current trends in society (sustainable development, the inclusion of sensory properties, etc...), ITECH-Lyon is expanding its research activities and optimising the management of its resources, increasing the potential for cross-disciplinary application of its subjects. The PFEL (Polymer Functionalisation Engineering Laboratory) is where this "cross-fertilization" takes place. ITECH-Lyon has developed strong regional, national and European R&D partnerships.
The School: more than 500 Students
4 levels of training:
- 3 years (postgraduate admission)
- 4 majors
- Formulation Chemistry (paints, inks, adhesives, cosmetics, etc...)
- Plastics and composites
- Textiles and composites
- Admission to graduate studies (Bachelor’s in Chemistry, ...).
- Accredited by the CTI (French Engineering Qualification Committee) and EURACE.
- European Section: All courses taught in English
- 1-year program
- 4 different programs:
- Manager de projet d'innovation en économie circulaire
- Manager de projet d’innovation
- Manager de process industriel innovant, industrie 4.0
- Responsable projet industrialisation cosmétique
- Admission to postgraduate studies (engineering degree, masters or equivalent) as initial training or continuous education.
- Course accredited by the Conférence des grandes écoles
- Courses available only in French
Certificate in Cosmetics and Formulation of Coloured products
- 1-year Adhesives/cosmetics/color/paints and inks
- Admission after 2 years of undergraduate studies
- Courses available only in French
IPL Summer School
- 5 weeks (from mid-June to mid-July)
- It focuses on polymer applications in materials.
- French language classes: 40 hours of instruction
- 50 hours of small-group practice, plus cultural excursions and more.
For further information, please visit our website
Polymer Sciences: Nowadays it’s all about polymers!
The field represents modern science par excellence, as direct applications of polymers are present in our day to day lives: leather products in the luxury industry, helicopter blades, anti-UV inks, all-terrain and all-weather clothing, bicycle frames made of composite materials, new anti-allergic textile products... all of which come into existence through the creativity of engineers. Synthesizing and handling polymers requires a strong scientific training (in chemistry, mechanics,...). However, developing applications is a matter of taste and passion. ITECH Lyon Engineering School, which specializes in leather products, textile and plastic materials, and formulated chemistry products (paints, inks, adhesives, cosmetics,...), has made science and in particular polymer science, the core of its education. Its specialities, often complementing each other, have aided in the advancement of polymer sciences which is in constant scientific and economic development.
The Engineering program
This training relies on 2 principle scientific fields: chemistry and physic-mechanics. Basic knowledge is developed in 1st year in order to prepare the students for their major. Education at ITECH focuses around polymer sciences. ITECH engineers assert their skills in this field throughout their careers with their choice of major helps them to find their first job with ease. On top of technical and scientific skills, ITECH allows its pupils to reveal and develop their social skills with economical and social sciences, and many presentations. ITECH’s Engineering Degree is the equivalent of a “Master’s Degree” for those interested in following a career outside of France.
Unique and Different
ITECH trains engineers in 3 years. The type of education offered is:
- Regular student status
- Apprenticeship status (alternating courses at school and work in a company over the 3 years)
Students following the regular course choose one of the 4 majors offered after their 1st year:
- Formulation Chemistry: Paints, Inks, Adhesives and Cosmetics
- Plastic Materials
- Textile Materials
ITECH is a member of the Conference des Grandes Ecoles and its degree in chemical engineering (Master’s degree) is accredited by the CTI (Comission des Titres d’Ingénieurs).
A dynamic interaction
ITECH was created by professionals and is anchored in an industrial environment which is constantly changing. For this reason, professional syndicates and industrialists in each field (paints, inks, cosmetics, plastics, leather, and textile) sit on the Board of Directors of the Institute. The school takes into account the expertise of these respective syndicates in order to update and refine the orientations of the programs taught. The relations that are forged with the firms contribute in promoting the adaptability of the future engineer (Conferences, information days, professional forums...). This is case of a new program which was opened in 2014. In order to satisfy the demand for paint engineers needed over next decade, ITECH launched the European School of Formulation Chemistry. All courses are taught in English in order to attract European Bachelor students towards this major which in high demand in the paint sector.
Like any science, advances in the fields of polymers are based on the creativity of the researchers and engineers that practise the discipline. The ITECH student must be creative as the science and technology which is at his or her disposal is constantly evolving. This characteristic is taking into account in the teaching at ITECH. Multidisciplinary constitutes on its own a certain guarantee in integrating the working environment. But in order to encourage the creative side of the student, ITECH organizes at the end of the 3 year course, Proj’ITECH, a gathering which allows students to present their final year project work in front of researchers, heads of R&D departments and industrialists.
Hands on training
ITECH is adamant in supplying students with a strong professional experience. On top of a multidisciplinary teaching, the institute adds a 10 month minimum of mandatory internships in companies for the regular status students.
End of 1st year: International experience - minimum 6 weeks This international experience is prepared in advance in terms of an intercultural approach and the expectations regarding the content of the report are fully defined. This is an individual review of each student’s experience and acts as a basis for reflection during the intercultural lessons the following term. End of 2nd year: Engineering placement - minimum 8 weeks Practical application with privileged trainee status allows students to come face to face with the realities of corporate life and become acquainted with companies’ material, economic and human requirements. End of 3rd year: Final year project - maximum 6 months This is a project generally entrusted to young engineers. Students demonstrate that they are capable of acting autonomously and tackling complex subjects in situations that can, at times, prove complex. The project involves a minimum 5-month placement with a company or laboratory either in France or abroad. Optional 1-year work placement (between 2nd and 3rd year) Students can, if they wish, complete a 1-year work placement with a company or foreign laboratory but are required to spend at least 6 months abroad. In fact, an extended stay outside France is always highly beneficial and leads students to thoroughly think through their career plan.
Jobs and Employment
Half of ITECH graduates sign their contract before their degree has been delivered. After 6 months, more than 90 % of the graduates are hired. Activity sectors
- Chemical industries, chemical products manufacturers
- Cosmetics, paints, varnishes, adhesives, inks,
- Aeronautical industry, automotive, packaging, compounded materials, plasturgy
- Leather industry, shoes, leather goods, tannery, luxury
- Textile industries, technical and medical textiles, clothing
- Commerce and distribution
ITECH Career Counselling Service has been helping graduates with employment for more than 25 years. It accompanies students in their search for a professional project and vocation, working closely with a professional counsellor and a work psychologist. On an average basis, we have 300 offers directly addressed to ITECH and screened each year by the Career Counselling Service: 60 % for Engineers and specialized Masters, 40 % for technicians.
ITECH ENTREPRISES: The expertise of a “Grande Ecole” put to industrial use.
ADHESIVES, AUTOMOTIVE, COSMETICS, COLOURS, LEATHER, INKS, PLASTICS, PAINTS, TEXTILES ITECH-Lyon and its subsidiary, ITECH Entreprises, make their full range of technical and human resources available to companies via various forms of contracts. These services include Research (CIFRE [industrial research training agreements], Studies.), R&D, analysis and trials, consultancy, expertise, audits, rental of equipment with possible staff secondment (full-time research professors) and continuous vocational training.
All ITECH-Lyon's skill platforms posses the resources required to process and treat surfaces on a pilot scale, available to companies under various schemes.
- Formulation chemistry (paints, inks, adhesives, cosmetics, etc.)
- Analytical laboratory