Master in English Language and Literature (with/without thesis)
Istanbul Aydin University
Earliest start date
The department of English Language and Literature provides advanced education in English Language and Literature by presenting students with contemporary methods, comparative approaches, and universal perspectives in linguistics and literary studies.
Our Master’s Degree program at the Social Sciences Institute at Istanbul Aydın University aims at encouraging students in acquiring critical thinking, persuasive communicative skills, and a sophisticated perspective on the English language and literature.
The department accepts students with a bachelor’s degree in English Language and Literature or other (un)related fields as long as they demonstrate English proficiency. Ones who do not qualify need to take no-credits preparatory courses at the bachelor’s degree level for at least one semester that will not count towards their Master’s degree. A total of at least 24 local credits and at least 8 courses and a seminar constitute the course work of 60 ECTS required for a master's degree program with thesis. A thesis of 60 ECTS credits is required for the completion of this 120 ECTS program.
The program is modular and consists of elective courses. Students can take elective courses from other related branches as long as their advisors approve. The fact that the teaching staff of the English Language and Literature department has different backgrounds and specializations makes the program more appealing.
English Language and Literature program aims at training English Language and Literature lecturers and staff and provides research opportunities for those who are academically involved.
- The aim of the MA Program in English Language and Literature is to provide students from diverse undergraduate background with an opportunity to acquire a solid academic background with scientific research capabilities on English Language and Literature on which they will build their further studies.
- The objective of MA Program in English Language and Literature is to equip students with a comprehensive knowledge of English Language and Literature, and to develop their skills in academic research, theoretical investigations and critical reading and writing through an innovative and interdisciplinary approach.
|First term||Second term|
| || |
|Third term||Fourth term|
| || |
Upon successful completion of the program designed in accordance with the aims and objectives of the program and the program learning outcomes in terms of knowledge, skills, and competencies given below, students/learners will be able to:
- Have in-depth knowledge of literary genres, authors, theories, and movements in English Literature.
- Gain a comprehensive knowledge of English Language and culture, theories, and approaches in linguistics at master's level.
- Possess comprehensive knowledge of research methods and techniques in the literature.
- Identify major social, historical, and political issues concerning English and American literature in the world today.
- Conceive the interdisciplinary interaction between English Literature and other disciplines (e.g. art, history, philosophy, psychology, and linguistics) with which the field of English Literature is related.
- Describe issues relating to research methods and techniques in the literature.
- Analyze and synthesize the knowledge about English Literature by integrating the information gathered from other disciplines such as history, philosophy, psychology, and Linguistics.
- Formulate new ideas and methods through an interdisciplinary approach.
- Solve the problems faced in the field of English Literature by applying new research methods and techniques in the field.
- Independently design and implement a research study in English Literature at the master's level.
- Adapt new methods and techniques gained from other disciplines to the field of literature.
- Apply new and interdisciplinary methods and techniques to the research studies in the field.
Personal & occupational competencies in terms of each of the following groups:
Autonomy & Responsibility
Learning to Learn
Communication & Social
Occupational and/or Vocational
The Master of Arts program in English Literature is designed to give intensive training to those students who wish to pursue advanced studies in this field.