The Nautical School of Panama was founded in 1958, and at that time it was exclusively dedicated to training multipurpose sailors until 1971, when the Deck and Machine Officer careers were established. In 1972, the demand for International Merchant Marine Officers and the employment possibilities in the Panama Canal was considered, therefore, the academic offer was expanded at the university level and included careers leading to Merchant Marine Officers.
The old Nautical School of Panama is now part of the International Maritime University of Panama (UMIP), being integrated as part of the Faculty of Nautical Sciences; which specializes in the training of Deck Officers (Bachelor of Nautical Engineering with specialization in navigation and maritime transport) and Machine (Bachelor of Nautical Engineering with specialization in naval machinery and ship propulsion systems).
The International Maritime University of Panama is the official university of the Republic of Panama, created by Law No. 40 of December 1, 2005, with autonomy, legal status, and its own assets, with the right to administer it, and with the power to organize plans and study programs, through teaching, research, and extension, in maritime disciplines and in the technological development of the national, regional and international maritime community.