MSc in Entrepreneurship and Global Marketing (MScEGM)
Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) School of Business
Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
31 Jan 2024*
Earliest start date
* Applications for the 2024-25 intake (i.e. programme commences in September 2024) have started. Review of applications will start before the deadline and continue until all places are filled. Therefore, early applications are strongly encouraged.
The MScin Entrepreneurship and Global Marketing (MScEGM) is a Master's degree programme offered by the Department of Marketing, Hong Kong Baptist University, to be completed on a 15-month full-time study basis.
The programme is designed for students who seek a graduate education in order to advance into management and other leadership roles or to start a career as an entrepreneur. Applicants from all countries will be considered if they can demonstrate the necessary language skills.
Students can choose to study the whole programme in Hong Kong to obtain a single Master's degree. Or, they can apply for the double degree pathway to obtain two Master's degree, one awarded by HKBU and one by the Grenoble École de Management (GEM).
- International Exposure: By spending the first semester in Hong Kong and the second semester in France, students can experience firsthand the east and the west in one single year through global exposure.
- World-Class Learning Experience: A unique international cooperative opportunity for students to experience high-quality learning and teaching that utilises the strengths of two research-led business schools, which offer internationally recognised business and management programmes.
- Double Degree: Hong Kong's first double degree in Entrepreneurship and Global Marketing, leading to two master degrees to be awarded by Hong Kong Baptist University and Grenoble École de Management.
- Opportunity to Work in Hong Kong: Non-Hong Kong graduates of the programme can apply to stay and work in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation, no matter they have been secured an offer of employment or not.
The programme is designed for students who seek graduate education in order more easily to advance into management and other leadership roles or to start a career as an entrepreneur. Applicants from all countries will be considered if they can demonstrate the necessary language skills.
- Provide students with entrepreneurial knowledge and skills for handling complex, dynamic and global business issues encountered by an organization.
- Develop students’ understanding of marketing theory and practices to enable them to build and critically evaluate strategies that meet the business challenges of globalisation.
- Develop students’ innovative thinking to address issues and problems arising in an organisation and in the social environment.
- Provide students with a unique opportunity to experience high-quality international education delivered by two research-led business schools, where they will interact with faculty and students from different cultures.
Grenoble École de Management
Founded in 1984, Grenoble École de Management (GEM) in Grenoble, France is ranked the 6th Best French School (Le Point 2018, 2019) and 21st Best European Business School (Financial Times 2017), and has the expertise in Technology and Innovation Management to become a world leader which is based in the world’s fifth-most inventive city (Forbes magazine). Grenoble École de Management offers 50 programmes from undergraduate to doctoral levels and has 8 international campuses, such as Berlin, London, Moscow.
- Solutions: Students will demonstrate an understanding of entrepreneurship theory, tools and business models by applying them to propose integrative solutions to business problems.
- Marketing: Students will demonstrate an understanding of the marketing knowledge required by conducting marketing activities in a global context.
- Analytical: Students will apply analytical, critical and creative thinking for managing change and creating new businesses.
- Teamwork: Students will demonstrate teamwork and oral and written communication skills in managing innovation and solving business problems.
The curriculum has been carefully designed to embrace a global view with global case studies and a business project addressing the principles and practices of entrepreneurship and international marketing management. More importantly, having the students spend one semester in France and one semester in Hong Kong will generate synergies between two institutions steeped in the business practices of very different regions of the world. For the students, this will bring the best sort of global exposure.
The programme has 33 Hong Kong Baptist University units of taught courses. The business project (or academic dissertation) accounts for 15 Hong Kong Baptist University units. Requirements of the programme are as follows:
January Semester (18 units)
- MKTG 7010 Startup Creation Process and Entrepreneurial Ecosystem (3 units)
- MKTG 7020 Entrepreneurship and Business Opportunities (3 units)
- MKTG 7030 New Venture Business Planning, Small and Family Business (3 units)
- MKTG 7040 Accounting and Finance for Entrepreneurs (3 units)
- MKTG 7050 Strategic Management (1.5 units)
- MKTG 7060 Marketing Planning (1.5 units)
- MKTG 7110 Socially Responsible Entrepreneurship in an International Context (3 units)
September Semester (15 units)
- MKTG 7070 Advanced Effective Sales, Negotiation & Intercultural Communication (3 units)
- MKTG 7080 Corporate Entrepreneurship and Business Development (3 units)
- MKTG 7090 Leadership and Team Building for Entrepreneurs (3 units)
- MKTG 7100 Digital Marketing Strategy (3 units)
- MKTG 7120 Global Marketing (3 units)
- MKTG 7130 Business Project / Academic Dissertation (15 units)
Business Project (BP)
The student will be required to complete a BP of approximately 20,000 words in length. To successfully complete the BP, the student is required to develop a new business start-up proposal, including Market, Product and Benchmark Analysis, and provide roadmap and action plan to assist during the decision-making process for the development and introduction to the market of this new business. The BP should be the culmination of the students' postgraduate programme. This is their opportunity to apply the knowledge acquired during the course of their programme to a specific business problem in their field.
This course requires the student to research a topic appropriate to the field of entrepreneurship and global marketing. The dissertation should involve engagement with theoretical concepts and practical application to an entrepreneurship and/or global marketing issue.
Total Units: 48 units
Remark: The study curriculum may change from time to time.
Scholarships and Funding
International Postgraduate Scholarship (IPS)
International Postgraduate Scholarship (IPS) is offered to outstanding international students. Scholarship recipients will get full tuition fee waiver plus HK$100,000 living allowance (approx. US$12,820). Eligible applicants will be considered for the scholarship simultaneously together with the applications based on their overall application profile and interview performance. A separate application for a schoalrship is not required.
Competition for scholarships increases as the year progresses, so we recommend starting your application early.
Seed Funding Support for Start-Ups Projects
At the end of the programme, students with projects of high potential will have chances to pitch their business ideas to investors. High quality projects might receive venture capital funding to found their own companies. Up to HKD 1 million will be awarded for potential start-up business projects.
Competitions and Fundings for Student Entrepreneurs
Students with entrepreneurial plans are advised to join various competitions and pitching events to further polish their business plans and skills. Business plans with technological and innovative elements are more likely to attract funders. Besides, business ideas that seek to tackle local or global social concerns are more like to attract seed fundings for social enterprises.
Scholarships (which may be in the form of a tuition waiver) will be offered by the Hong Kong Baptist University as follows:
Admission Scholarship #
- Scholarships of HK$25,000 to HK$50,000 will be granted to new entrants with a GMAT score at 650 or above.
- Scholarships of HK$10,000 to HK$50,000 will be granted to new entrants with a business plan of high potential.
Successful Start-up Award
- HK$50,000 for a student who starts up a business by the end of the Programme^
Academic Excellence Award
- HK$10,000 with academic excellence upon completing the programme for top 3 students.
Lifelong Learning Award
- Degree graduates and Associate Degree graduates from HKBU, HKBU-CIE, HKBU-SCE and BNU-HKBU-UIC are entitled to this Lifelong Learning Award of HK$10,000 if they are admitted to the MScEGM programme.
Financial Support from the Angel Funds
- Seed funding support is available for qualified start-up projects.
Scholarships offered by Grenoble Ecole de Management
For details, please visit the website of Grenoble Ecole de Management.
# These scholarships are offered on a case-by-case basis and subject to availability.
^ Nominations of this scholarship are subject to final approval of the Programme's board.
The above information is for reference only and is subject to change without prior notice. Hong Kong Baptist University reserves the right of final decision and interpretation in the case of any dispute.
The programme is designed for students who seek graduate education to advance into managerial and leadership roles or to start an entrepreneurial career. We generally wish to prepare students for careers as:
- Global Brand Manager
- Global Sales and Marketing Manager
- Global Strategic Marketing Manager
- Project Managers
- Research and Development (R&D) Managers
- Any managerial position in e-business and high-tech industries
- Global Customer Service Manager
- Global Digital Marketing Manager
- Global MarCom Manager
- Successors to family-owned businesses
- Business Developers
- Business-to-Business (B to B) Product Managers
Program Admission Requirements
Demonstrate your commitment and readiness to succeed in business school by taking the GMAT exam – the most widely used exam for admissions that measures your critical thinking and reasoning skills.
Download the GMAT mini quiz to get a flavour of the questions you’ll find in the exam.