MSc in Data Analytics and Business Economics (MScDABE) Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) School of Business
The rapid technological progress has dramatically altered the business landscape and job markets. A lot more companies are strategically searching for analytics-enabled people with business economics knowledge as well as statistical and programming skills for providing business insights and responding to changes in an intellectual property policy, and competition and regulatory policies.
The Master of Science in Data Analytics and Business Economics is thoughtfully designed to serve the increasing demand for talents in the area of data analytics and business economics in Hong Kong and other parts of the world. It is a one-year full-time programme that provides students with solid training in business economic analysis and data analytics. Students who are interested in becoming analytics-enabled professionals and data strategists are welcome to apply.
The programme is also in line with the University’s 10-year Institutional Strategic Plan for 2018-28, which has identified “data analytics and artificial intelligence” as one of the research clusters for development.
- Broad and Balanced Training: The Programme emphasizes the values of economic principles in the current data science development and the necessary programming skills for solving real business problems.
- Career-oriented Curriculum: Training received from the Programme enables graduates to fill the talent gap created by the new challenges presented by the smart city development.
- Practical Learning: Students can apply the technical skills learnt from the Programme to solve business problems in hand data-analytically.
- Opportunity to Work in Hong Kong: Non-Hong Kong graduates of the programme can apply to stay and work in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation, no matter whether they have secured an offer of employment or not.
- Provide students with solid training in business economic analysis and data analytics.
- Enable students to analyse business economic issues using relevant data.
- Provide students with balanced training in business economic knowledge, statistical models, and programming skills.
- Knowledge: Students will be able to identify the challenges of the digital economy and apply economic principles to think strategically about business decisions.
- Creativity: Students will be able to demonstrate ability in choosing appropriate algorithms and implementing programming languages for business analysis.
- Skills: Students will be able to define the business problems clearly and identify appropriate analytical tools to address the issues.
- Communication: Students will be able to interpret the data outcomes and deliver crucial findings and insights effectively through data visualization for business analysis.
- Citizenship: Students will be able to formulate solutions to real-world problems with data analytics and/ or economic principles.
Students are required to take ten courses, of which Five are required courses and Five are elective courses.
- ECON7870 Managerial Economics and Business Strategy
- ECON7880 Foundations in Big Data Analytics: Concepts and Techniques
- ECON7890 Foundations in Big Data Analytics: Programming
- ECON7900 Statistics for Data Science
- ECON7910 Data Visualization with Story-telling
- ECON7920 Executive Workshop Series
- ECON7035 Artificial Intelligence for Business
- ECON7045 Law and Economics of Data Protection
- ECON7055 Projects for Data Analytics
- ECON7430 Applied Cost-Benefit Analysis
- ECON7850 Economics of Digital Markets
- ECON7930 Analytics for Spatial, Textual and Social Network Data
- ECON7940 Data-driven Decision Making
- ECON7950 Business and Economic Forecasting with Big Data
- ECON7960 User Experience and A/B Testing
- ECON7970 Applied Predictive Modeling
- ECON7980 Innovation and Entrepreneurial Economy: China and Global Development
- ECON7990 Economics of Smart Cities
*Subject to prior approval of the Programme Director and quota constraints, students are allowed to take at most two courses offered by other master programmes of the School of Business and of the Department of Computer Science as electives, provided that the selected courses will help the students achieve the LGs of this programme.'
The normal duration of the programme is one-year full time.
Medium of Instruction
The medium of instruction is English.
Scholarships and Funding
Entrance scholarships will be offered each year for the most outstanding applicants.
- For international applicants, they can be considered for the International Postgraduate Scholarship with a waive of full-year tuition fee and provision of living allowance of HK$100,000.
- For mainland and local students, scholarships would be granted up to an amount equivalent to a full year tuition fee on the basis of pursuing lifelong learning and academic performance.
- Merit-based awards will be given to the most outstanding students in the Programme at the time of graduation.
International Postgraduate Scholarships (IPS)
The International Postgraduate Scholarship (IPS) scheme at the HKBU School of Business is a global initiative designed to nurture future business leaders, bringing together highly-talented and intellectually-motivated students from around the world to one of our selected taught postgraduate programmes. Although these young achievers come from diverse backgrounds, they have all demonstrated leadership potential and have a common interest in making a difference in the world.
Competition for scholarships increases as the year progresses, so we recommend starting your application early.
With strong training in economic principles, statistical and programming skills, our graduates from this Programme will be equipped with complex problem-solving and data-analytical thinking skills. They can work as either data analysts or data strategists in the areas such as project management, product and website design, and risk management in any business corporations and public institutions.
Professional career development advice is offered to full-time business students by the Career Services Section of School of Business.
- Recruitment talks
- Job Search Skills workshop
- Career Advice and Counselling Service