MSc in Corporate Governance and Compliance (MScCGC)
Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) School of Business
Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
12 - 18 months
Full time, Part time
01 Apr 2024*
Earliest start date
* Applications for the 2024-25 intake (i.e. programme commences in September 2024) will start in early January 2024. Review of applications will start before the deadline and continue until all places are filled. Therefore, early applications are strongly encouraged.
The mission of the MSc in Corporate Governance and Compliance is to provide specialized training and practical knowledge to prepare directors, company secretaries and compliance professionals for strengthening the sustainability and accountability of their organizations. The School of Business aims to achieve all that with an expert teaching team and an innovative curriculum.
Students will receive an all-rounded education in corporate governance to meet the challenges of an increasingly complex regulatory environment and the ever-rising expectation of shareholders and stakeholders.
Graduates of the Programme are eligible to apply for full exemption from the examination requirements of The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators (ICSA) and The Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries (HKICS).
Students are required to take eight core courses and two electives. The eight-core courses are based on the corresponding papers of the International Qualifying Examination of HKICS. Upon successful completion of the Programme, students will be awarded the degree of Master of Science in Corporate Governance and Compliance, and are eligible to apply for full exemption from the examination requirements of ICSA and HKICS.
- Governance and Compliance: To solve complex governance and compliance problem with a sound understanding of relevant law and regulations/stakeholders’ expectations / international best practices.
- Critical analysis: To analyse critically the information required to execute the functions of corporate administration and compliance management effectively.
- Judgment, solutions, integrity: To formulate independent judgement and innovative solutions to resolve governance and compliance problems with the standards that uphold professional integrity.
- Effective communications: To communicate effectively in a team, orally, and through writing for implementing corporate governance practices and fulfilling regulatory requirements.
- 8 core courses and 2 electives in a variety of disciplines
- Legal Studies
- Business Ethics
- Various pedagogical approaches
- Project assignment
- Medium size class (40 part-time + 10 full-time students)
- ACCT7770 Corporate Accounting
- ACCT7780 Corporate Law
- ACCT7810 Securities Regulation
- MGNT7740 Strategic Management
- ACCT7790 Corporate Governance and Risk Management
- ACCT7800 Corporate Administration
- ACCT7820 Taxation
- FIN7740 Corporate Finance and Risk Management
- ACCT7830 Risk, Compliance, and Corporate Social Responsibility
- ACCT7840 Financial Regulations and Crimes
- ACCT7760 International Taxation
- ACCT7170 Project
- COMM7060 Issues in Corporate Communication
- COMM7250 Strategic Public Relations & Crisis Management
Scholarships and Funding
International Postgraduate Scholarship (IPS)
To enhance internationalisation and provide students with a global educational experience, an International Postgraduate Scholarship is offered to outstanding international students.
- Scholarship recipients will get a full tuition fee waiver plus HK$100,000 living allowance (approx. US$12,820).
- Eligible international applicants will be considered for the scholarship simultaneously together with their applications based on their all-around record and interview performance.
- A separate application for a scholarship is not required.
HKBU MScCGC Award Scheme
The MScCGC HKBU Alumni Entrance Awards
- HK$10,000, 5 awards are available
- BU (including UIC) undergraduate alumni
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience at enrollment
- Attained an overall cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above at the first trimester of the intake year (subject to no failed course grade)
The MScCGC Graduation Academic Awards
- Distinction Award: HK$10,000 (Attained an overall cumulative GPA of 3.67 or above at graduation*)
- Merit Award: a certificate (Attained an overall cumulative GPA of 3.40 to 3.66 at graduation*)
* Subject to the same conditions applied to the University’s academic standing
The MScCGC HKBU Local Entrance Awards
- An amount equivalent to 1/3 of the total programme fee of the intake year
- Up to 3 awards are available each academic year
- At enrollment, participants must be
- A local resident of Hong Kong
- Have 5 years of work experience or above
- Complete the whole programme within 2 academic years
- A minimum 3.33 GPA at graduation
Competition for scholarships increases as the year progresses, so we recommend starting your application early.