MSc in Applied Accounting & Finance (MScAAF)
Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) School of Business
Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
1 - 2 year
Full time, Part time
02 Jan 2024*
Earliest start date
* Applications for the 2024-25 intake (i.e. programme commences in September 2024) have started. Review of applications will start before the deadline and continue until all places are filled. Therefore, early applications are strongly encouraged.
This is the only programme in Hong Kong that integrates applied knowledge and skills in accounting and finance to train professionals who will be at home in both fields. The programme emphasizes real, practical international cases. Students acquire an in-depth understanding of and updated knowledge in both accounting and finance. This makes the programme suitable not only for accounting and finance professionals but also for managers and executives in other business areas.
Enhance and Broaden Knowledge in Professional Accountancy and Finance
- To provide an opportunity for Business Managers, Professionals, and Senior Executives to develop their analytical, judgmental, and conceptual minds;
- To enhance students’ understanding of the state-of-the-art knowledge in accounting and finance;
- To equip students with the solid accounting and finance knowledge and practical skills needed for managing their organizations;
- To prepare students to advance further in their professional careers, or to continue their studies in the relevant fields, and
- To facilitate students to prepare for relevant professional qualification examinations.
- LG1: Students will have knowledge in contemporary accounting and have related problem-solving skills supported by accounting theories.
- LG2: Students will have knowledge in contemporary finance and have related problem-solving skills supported by finance theories.
- LG3: Students will enhance their analytical and critical thinking skills through integrating acquired accounting and finance knowledge with rational decision making in the fields of accounting and finance.
- LG4: Students will explain the key issues and increase awareness of the ethical and professional responsibilities of the accounting and finance profession in a changing environment.
The programme has been included in the list of reimbursable courses for CEF purposes.
- ACCT7210 Advanced Corporate Financial Reporting
- ACCT7220 Strategic Management Accounting and Controls
- ACCT7230 Issues on Internal and External Auditing
- ACCT7240 Accounting Theory and Policy
- FIN7210 Corporate Finance
- FIN7220 Investment and Portfolio Analysis
- FIN7230 Financial Strategy
- FIN7260 Financial Statement Analysis and Business Valuation
- ACCT7270 Corporate Governance and Disclosures (Elective)
- ACCT7870 Financial Regulations and Compliance (Elective)
- ACCT7880 Governance, Leadership and Ethics (Elective)
- ACCT7910 Hong Kong and International Taxation (Elective)
- ACCT7920 Commercial and Company Law (Elective)
- FIN7240 Derivative Securities and Risk Management (Elective)
- FIN7750 Financial Technology (FinTech) (Elective)
- ISEM7210 Business Processes and Information Management (Elective)
- ACCT7280 Independent Study/Integrative Project (in Accounting) (Elective)* / FIN7280 Independent Study/Integrative Project (in Finance) (Elective)*
- BUS7510 MScAAF Seminars and Workshops
*The independent studies/integrated project can only be selected to replace an elective course under the special circumstance and advance approval is required.
Please note that the elective course will be opened with at least 12 students enrolled.
The assessment methods of the programme follow the Grade Point Average (GPA) System set by Hong Kong Baptist University to assess coursework and examination performance. Besides the requirement of a final written examination, continuous coursework assessment which includes interim tests and quizzes, case studies, individual and group presentations, term projects and hands-on simulated exercises will be used to optimize successful learning.
Criteria for Progression or Award
Students with a trimester GPA below 2.20 will be put on academic probation and an official warning will be given to those students who have obtained a cumulative GPA of 2.20 to 2.49. Students who have successfully fulfilled the programme requirements with an average cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above will be awarded the degree of the Master of Science in Applied Accounting and Finance. Students who have obtained a cumulative GPA of 3.40 to 3.66 will be awarded the degree with merit and those students with a cumulative GPA of 3.67 and above will be awarded the degree with distinction.
Scholarships and Funding
International Postgraduate Scholarship (IPS)
To enhance internationalisation and provide students with a global educational experience, the International Postgraduate Scholarship (IPS) is offered to outstanding international students. Scholarship recipients will get a full tuition fee waiver plus HK$100,000 living allowance (approx. US$12,820). International applicants will be considered for the IPS scholarship simultaneously together with the applications based on their all-around record and interview performance. A separate application for a scholarship is not required.
Diversity Contribution Scholarship
The HKBU School of Business believes that diversity inspires new thinking, fosters greater understanding and enriches the learning experience. The Diversity Contribution Scholarship is attributed to new entrants who can enhance the diversity of the programme. Applicants are assessed on a broad range of criteria, including international exposure, cultural experiences, overseas education, work experience, special achievement and talents. The scholarship amount ranges from half-tuition waiver to full tuition fee waiver.
Entrance Scholarship / Young Talent Scholarship (for full-time applicants only)
These Scholarships, ranging from HK$20,000 to HK$80,000, will be provided to students with outstanding academic backgrounds and public examination results. Applicants will be considered for the scholarships simultaneously together with the applications.
Competition for scholarships increases as the year progresses, so we recommend starting your application early.
Excellence Academic Performance Award
Student(s) who obtain the highest GPA in the class will be awarded at the time of graduation.
Professional career development advice is offered to full-time business students by the Career Services Section of School of Business.
- Recruitment talks
- Job Search Skills workshop
- Career Advice and Counselling Service