Master of Human Resources Management (MHRM)
Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) School of Business
Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong
1 - 2 year
Full time, Part time
01 Mar 2024*
Earliest start date
* Applications for the 2024-25 intake (i.e. programme commences in September 2024) have started. Review of applications will start before the deadline and continue until all places are filled. Therefore, early applications are strongly encouraged.
This programme empowers graduates with essential HR knowledge, skills, and competencies to facilitate excellence in managing and developing talent. With a dual emphasis on theory and practice, this programme is designed for aspiring young graduates, practising HR professionals, and line managers who seek an advanced education in HRM.
- HKBU School of Business is amongst the 1% of business schools worldwide accredited by the three leading international accreditation bodies focused on business education: AACSB, AMBA, and EQUIS.
- This programme is mapped to the CIPD Advanced Certificate in Human Resources. As the CIPD Approved Centre, MHRM students who register as CIPD student members are eligible to achieve the CIPD Level 7 Advanced Certificate in Human Resources qualification and apply for the CIPD Associate membership after graduation.
- This programme is endorsed by the Hong Kong Institute of HRM.
Upon completion of the MHRM Programme, participants will be able to:
- Complete people-management tasks, including selection, appraisal, disciplinary and grievance interviews, coaching, and counselling.
- Advice on the development, implementation, and evaluation of HR policies and procedures, based on an awareness of the organisational and cultural context and of ethical principles.
- Design, implement and utilise employment-related surveys and research, such as employee opinion surveys, pay level surveys, and organisational exit surveys.
- Evaluate the operation of the HR function in an organisation and its contribution to organisational effectiveness.
- Demonstrate oral and written communication skills and analytical and critical thinking skills appropriate to a business professional.
Participants are required to take a total of ten courses (i.e. 30 units) for the MHRM programme. In addition to the eight core courses, the participant selects two elective courses.
- Human Resources Planning and Staffing
- Training and Development
- Performance Management
- Compensation and Benefits
- Employment Relations and Practices
- Ethics in Human Resources Management
- Human Resources Research Methods and Analytics
- Degree Project
Elective Courses (Select 2 courses)
- Human Resources Management in the PRC
- International and Comparative HRM
- Employment Engagement and Well-being
Academic Writing and Analytical Techniques Workshop
All new participants of the MHRM Programme are required to attend an 8-hour Academic Writing Workshop and a 2-hour Analytical Techniques Workshop in August before the commencement of formal classes.
Professional Development Activities (PDA)
Starting from the 2019 September intake, all new full-time students are required to participate in at least 6 PDA within their 1-year of study, in which 3 should be activities offered by the Career Services Unit. New Part-time students are required to participate in at least 4 PDAs within their 2-year of study. The programme office typically will arrange 4 to 5 seminars or workshops per year. Students are also encouraged to participate in relevant learning activities organised by other BUSD units, or the CIPD.
This programme is available on a full-time and part-time basis:
- Full-time: Weekdays and Weekends (Saturdays and Sundays)
- Part-time: Weekends (Saturdays and Sundays)
- Class time: 9:00 am – 6:00 pm.
- A typical course involves 5-days of class contact.
Small-class teaching to ensure maximum interaction between students and instructor.
The teaching faculty is balanced between international and local faculty, many of whom, in addition to their academic credentials, have practitioner backgrounds.
Scholarships and Funding
International Postgraduate Scholarship
International Postgraduate Scholarship (IPS), which is competitive with limited quota, is offered to outstanding international students. Scholarship recipients will get full tuition fee waiver plus HK$100,000 living allowance (Approx. US$12,820). Eligible international applicants from countries/ regions outside the mainland China, Macau SAR and Hong Kong SAR will be considered for the scholarship based on their all-round record and interview performance. The scholarship recipients will receive special/additional notice if the admission offer is provided with the IPS.
Competition for scholarships increases as the year progresses, so we recommend starting your application early.
Graduation Academic Award
The Graduation Academic Award is designed to reward students who have attained excellent scholastic performance in their MHRM study at HKBU. The award is worth HK$8,000 and is available to the top 3 students who have attained:
- Cumulative GPA of 3.4 or above;
- No repeated courses; and
- No course grade below B-
HKBU Alumni Entrance Award
The HKBU Alumni Entrance Award aims to encourage our HKBU Bachelor’s Degree alumni to pursue continuous learning. The award is worth HK$8,000 and is available to a maximum of 2 top alumni students with the highest accumulative GPA.
The award recipients will be notified during Orientation and shall receive HK$2,000 in the first semester of their MHRM study at HKBU and HK$2,000 per semester, starting from the second semester upon achieving cumulative GPA of 3.4 or above (out of 4.0 maximum) in each semester of MHRM study.
- HKBU Bachelor’s Degree alumni;
- Limited to the top two alumni students with highest accumulative GPA; and
- Overall Degree standing should not be lowered than Second Class Honour Division I
Students can apply for the HKSAR’s Continuing Education Fund (CEF) for a reimbursement up to HK$20,000 (from 1 April 2019) and/or HKSAR’s Government Extended Non-Means Tested Loan Schemes (ENLS).