Master of Accountancy (MAcc) Hong Kong Baptist University (HKBU) School of Business
This programme aims to equip bachelor’s degree graduates with the necessary accounting knowledge and skills to pursue a career in professional accounting and to provide a learning environment to develop students for executive positions in the accounting area in Hong Kong and the Greater China region. It also nurtures students' ethical decision making and corporate social responsibility for being professional accountants. The faculty and students, originating from a mix of countries, cultures, academic and professional backgrounds, are vital contributors to the rich and diverse communities and perspectives. In addition, this programme has been recognised by many global accounting organisations such as HKICPA, ACCA, CPA Australia, CIMA and AIA.
- Planning for Professional Accounting Examinations: Students are equipped with a solid knowledge base for professional examinations.
- Being an Ethical Accountant: Nurturing students with ethical decision making and corporate social responsibility.
- Opportunities to Work in Hong Kong: Non-Hong Kong graduates of this programme can apply to stay and work in Hong Kong for 12 months after graduation, no matter they have been secured an offer of employment or not.
- Accounting Internship Opportunities: This programme provides curriculum-related internships to students who will receive concrete training in the Accounting industry.
- Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants (HKICPA): Exemption of 10 modules from HKICPA New Qualification Programme
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA): Exemption of 9 papers from ACCA
- CPA Australia: Fast-tracked to becoming CPA Australia associate member
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA): Exemption of 11 papers from CIMA
- The Association of International Accountants (AIA): Exemption of 12 papers from AIA
The MAcc programme aims to equip students with the following:
- Knowledge: Students will develop knowledge of organisations, their management, and the global environment in which they operate.
- Analysis: Students will be analytical and critical thinkers and be able to solve business problems.
- Ethics: Students will have fundamental knowledge in professional ethics as well as business and company law.
- Research: Students will have an understanding of accounting theory and the latest developments in accounting practice.
This programme requires the completion of 7 core courses (equivalent to 21 units) and 5 elective courses (equivalent to 15 units). In addition, all students must satisfy the pre-core programme requirements.
- ACCT7610 Advanced Financial Accounting
- ACCT7620 Auditing
- ACCT7630 Business and Company Law
- ACCT7640 Cost and Management Accounting
- ACCT7650 Financial Management
- ACCT7660 Taxation
- ACCT7860 Accounting Theory
- ACCT7510 Advanced Financial Reporting
- ACCT7520 Advanced Taxation
- ACCT7530 Contemporary Issues in Business Assurance
- ACCT7540 Corporate Financing
- ACCT7760 International Taxation
- ACCT7810 Securities Regulation
- ACCT7850 Contemporary Strategic Management of Accounting Issues
Note: The MAcc programme office reserves the right to offer or not to offer any of the elective courses.
Pre-core Programme Courses
- P.C.7001 Accounting
- P.C.7002 Economics
- P.C.7003 Information Systems
- P.C.7004 Management
- P.C.7005 Statistics
- P.C.7006 Marketing for Accountants
- P.C.7007 Intermediate Accounting
Scholarships and Funding
International Postgraduate Scholarships
The International Postgraduate Scholarships (IPS) scheme at the HKBU School of Business is a global initiative designed to nurture future business leaders, bringing together highly-talented and intellectually-motivated students from around the world to one of the selected taught postgraduate programmes. Although these young achievers come from diverse backgrounds, they have all demonstrated leadership potential and have a common interest in making a difference in the world.
MAcc Diversity Contribution Scholarships
This scholarship is attributed to new entrants who can enhance the diversity of the programme based on criteria like their international exposure, cultural experiences, overseas education, work experience, special achievement and talents.
Outstanding Academic Performance Awards
MAcc students who have obtained the highest GPA and attained a cumulative GPA of 3.67 to 4.0 at graduation will be nominated for an award and certificate.
MAcc Entrance Scholarships
MAcc Entrance Scholarships offer students with distinguishing qualifications and/or academic backgrounds from a high world-ranking university in his/her undergraduate studies and achieving satisfactory academic results in the HKBU MAcc programme.
Other Scholarships, Awards and Sponsorships
- Course Scholarships to students with outstanding academic performance in the course.
- Competition Winning Awards to students who have won the competition or have been awarded a cash prize by professional accounting/business organisations or bodies.
- Professional Education Awards for part-time students.
- MAcc Pre-core Course Scholarships for part-time students.
- Professional Accounting Examination Awards for part-time students.
- Sponsorships for an overseas study tour.
- Sponsorships for overseas summer exchange programmes.
Competition for scholarships increases as the year progresses, so we recommend starting your application early.
Continuing Education Fund (CEF)
The MAcc programme has been included in the reimbursable course list of CEF. Local students could be reimbursed for a maximum sum of HK$20,000, on successful completion of one or more reimbursable modules forming part of the programme.
Non-means Tested Loan
Local students are eligible to apply for the Non-means Tested Loan Scheme provided by the Working Family and Student Financial Assistance Agency of HKSAR.
The MAcc Programme Office works with the Career Services Section of School of Business in providing with most up-to-date market information to current business students. It also organizes out-of-class career exposure for students and facilitates student's career growth through industry seminars and networking events.
To cope with the increasing graduate recruitment challenges, professional career development advice (e.g. face-to-face career coaching and business skills enhancement workshops) is offered to full-time business students by the Career Services Section of School of Business.
- Recruitment talks
- Job Search Skills workshop
- Gateway To Big 4
- Career Advice and Counselling Service