M.A. in Migration Studies Gershon H. Gordon Faculty of Social Sciences Tel Aviv University
The M.A. in Migration Studies is an interdisciplinary master’s program taught in English that offers students the opportunity to engage critically with national and international issues that are at the forefront of today’s debates around migration and policy.
The program is designed for passionate students with strong educational backgrounds, professional drive, and, preferably, previous professional or activist experience. Students are first exposed to the main theoretical perspectives and subsequently to the professionally-oriented principles of migration. Led by scholars and practitioners in the field of migration, topics covered in the courses include immigration and citizenship policies; perspectives on refugees, asylum seekers, and humanitarian aid; and the challenges of social, cultural, and economic integration. The program also offers opportunities to learn about professional migration and the global middle class, oriented towards students interested in issues of job relocation and accommodation to new social and cultural environments. Students gain hands-on experience through fieldwork and are able to specialize in areas of migration according to their personal preferences.
The M.A. in Migration Studies also includes a study track in which students can study a semester abroad in one of several exchange programs at universities affiliated with TAU. This track is not open to students whose enrollment in the Migration program will be supported by United States Federal Student Aid due to restrictions on the use of such aid.
We invite you to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook and/or LinkedIn to connect with us, to receive updates and to watch our latest uploads in our YouTube channel.
About Tel Aviv University
Located within Israel's cultural, financial, and business heartland, Tel Aviv University is the largest and most comprehensive of Israel's institutions of higher education. TAU is active in most areas of teaching and research and plays a focal role in all areas of economic, social, and national debate. Today, over 29,000 students participate in the degree programs of the University's 105 different departments and 27 schools in nine faculties.
The best students in Israel seek to gain an education and a profession at TAU and to enjoy its free and lively atmosphere. The beautiful and spacious campus is situated in suburban Ramat Aviv, just north of the city, minutes away from downtown Tel Aviv. TAU’s proximity to the artistic and commercial capital of Israel allows students to absorb the best of Israeli culture and society, as well as its vibrant culinary scene and Mediterranean sandy beaches.
You can read about our courses here.
Aims of the program
- To provide comprehensive knowledge of immigration as a historical, social, and political phenomenon, and to foster comparative insights across disciplines.
- To introduce students to the theoretical underpinnings of migration and to familiarize students with the various forms of migration, the forces driving migration, the conditions and barriers to the integration of immigrants, as well as various policy tools to deal with the phenomenon.
- To develop students' analytical and research capabilities via training in a wide range of qualitative and quantitative methodological tools.
- To combine academic training with professional skills development through an internship in the field and workshops with experienced practitioners.
- The program is taught in English to expose students to cutting-edge research on migration, to allow students to enter the academic discourse on the topic, to foster social and academic networks between Israeli and international students, and to encourage exchange with parallel programs taught at universities around the world.
Scholarships and Funding
The program offers merit-based partial tuition scholarships (contingent upon avaliable resources). For more information, please contact us directly via email [email protected]
For more scholarship options please see the TAU International website.
Program Tuition Fee
The M.A. in Migration Studies prepares our graduates for careers in both the public and private sectors. The majority of students who studied in the program held migration-related jobs 3-4 years after completing their studies. Some held government jobs and others were in non-governmental and grassroots organizations. Several of the graduates became entrepreneurs in the field of migration, and yet others are pursuing PhD degrees in universities around the world. Learn more about this from our alumni testimonials.