Located in the south of Rio Grande do Sul, in the city of Pelotas, 250 km from Porto Alegre, capital of the state, the Federal University of Pelotas (UFPEL) was created in 1969. Its history goes back to the Rural University of the South (URS), whose emergence, in 1960, resulted from efforts moved by teachers from the School of Agronomy Eliseu Maciel, who since 1957 fought for its creation.
The decree that created the Rural University of the South, linked to the Ministry of Agriculture, was composed of the centennial School of Agronomy Eliseu Maciel, Higher School of Domestic Sciences, School of Veterinary, Graduate School, and the Training and Information Center (Cetreisul ), considered an academic unit.
In 1967, Decree No. 60,731 federalized the Rural University of the South, being transferred to the Ministry of Education and Culture, changing its name to the Federal Rural University of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRRS), and the units went from courses to colleges.
In 1968, a commission composed of professors and academics was created, aimed at studying and proposing the restructuring of the university.
Thus, on August 8, 1969, the President of the Republic signed a decree that transformed the Federal Rural University of Rio Grande do Sul, into the Federal University of Pelotas (UFPel), composed of the Faculty of Agronomy Eliseu Maciel, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Faculty of Domestic Sciences, Faculty of Law (founded in 1912), Faculty of Dentistry (1911) - the last two belonging to the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, and the Institute of Sociology and Politics (ISP), founded in 1958.
And other private institutions that existed in Pelotas were added to UFPel, such as the Conservatory of Music of Pelotas, the School of Fine Arts Dona Carmen Trápaga Simões, and the Medicine Course of the Instituto Pró-Ensino Superior in the South of the State (Ipesse). And, in the same year, the Visconde da Graça Agrotechnical Group (CAVG), also became part of UFPel.
For its part, the Faculty of Domestic Sciences gave rise to other units, such as the Faculty of Education, the Food Chemistry Course, and the Faculty of Administration and Tourism. He was also responsible for the creation of the Consumer Information and Guidance Service (Siocon), which worked for 18 years in Pelotas, in education and consumer protection. The object of study of the Faculty of Domestic Sciences has always been the family, especially the low-income family. He trained bachelor and graduate professionals for teaching 1st and 2nd degrees. He had his last entrance exam in 1997. His memories are part of the roots of UFPel.