The Federal University of Ouro Preto (UFOP) was created on August 21, 1969, with the junction of the centennial and traditional Escola de Farmácia and Escola de Minas. Over the years, it has grown and expanded its physical space, gaining new courses, teachers, and collaborators.
The School of Pharmacy was created in 1839. Built-in the former headquarters of the Provincial Assembly, where the 1st Republican Constitution of Minas Gerais was sworn, the School was the first faculty of the State and is the oldest in Latin America in the pharmaceutical field. Currently, its administrative sector, collegiate, and boards are located on the Morro do Cruzeiro campus, in Ouro Preto. Laboratories and classrooms operate at the School's headquarters, downtown, and on campus.
UFOP seeks to bring the 21st century to a city that is over 300 years old. At the same time, the preservation proposal is reaffirmed through projects such as the Oficina de Cantaria, which recovers important historical monuments, and the Forum of the Arts, which promotes reflection on the arts and heritage. The Museum of Science and Technology, the Museum of Pharmácia and the Astronomical Observatory are important centers for the conservation of memory and culture, which keep a legacy of knowledge for society.