Master in Sustainable Urban Mobility Transitions (MSc)
EIT Urban Mobility Master School
EUR 4,000 / per year **
15 Apr 2024*
Earliest start date
* This programme offers two application periods: 31 Jan, 2024 and 1 Feb - 15 Apr, 2024.
** Citizen of a non-EU/EEA country: 16000 EUR | Citizen of EU/EEA country or Switzerland: 4000 EUR
Why study Sustainable Urban Mobility Transitions at the EIT Urban Mobility Master School?
The world’s cities are changing. New technologies, business models, and global sustainability goals are transforming our cities and how we move. Today’s urban planners and transport engineers face an array of challenges and are needed to take advantage of such transformations to help create urban environments that consume fewer resources, contribute less to climate change, and support more liveable and healthy neighborhoods. Addressing such challenges requires embracing complexity and competence beyond the traditional urban planning and civil engineering disciplines, including entrepreneurial skills to steer innovations into practice. The Sustainable Urban Mobility Transitions programme provides such experience, preparing students to become the next urban innovators and leaders in urban mobility.
How is the programme structured?
All programmes at the EIT Urban Mobility Master School follow the same scheme:
- Students study one year each at two different universities–the “entry” university and the “exit” university. All options are located at a leading university in Europe in the field of urban mobility.
- Graduating students will be awarded two officially recognised Master of Science degrees, from each of the two universities. Moreover, the programme is designed so that students may attain the qualifications for a certificate awarded by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology.*
- During the first-year studies, students will be introduced to Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and participate in an extended Challenge Project. During the same year, students will acquire essential technical skills for working with urban mobility challenges.
- Between the first and second year, students will participate in a Summer School applying new skills to two different cities within Europe.
- In the second year, students will choose from several more specialised courses in both technical content as well as innovation and entrepreneurship. Students will also participate in a shorter challenge project that includes an internship at a company or organisation working to meet urban mobility challenges. To complete their degree, in the second year, students will carry out an independent master thesis, combining and demonstrating their full set of technical and entrepreneurial skills.
You will have a wide range of career opportunities, within the public and private sector, as well as have the know-how to start your own business or conduct rigorous research.
Where can I study Sustainable Urban Mobility Transitions?
The available universities for the Sustainable Urban Mobility Transitions programme are:
- Aalto University, Espoo, Finland
- The Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden
- UPC Barcelona Tech, Spain
- University of Tartu, Estonia
- University of Lisbon (Técnico Lisboa), Portugal
(please note, not all combinations may be possible)
EIT Urban Mobility Partner Universities
Applications Dates and Deadlines
Applications are currently open!
November 15, 2023
January 31, 2024
--> We recommend non EU/EAA applicants to apply in Period 1 in order to give adequate time to organise any visa-related processes.
February 1, 2024
April 15, 2024
Watch our programme webinar!
The Master School Office organises master’s programmes webinars where prospective applicants can talk to the Programme Leads and university representatives; chat with the current students, and get answers to all their questions!
If you wish to receive the recording of our SUMT programme webinar and/or if you wish to be alerted to participate in our next live webinar, please fill in the following form: https://forms.gle/PvpphgLbgUb7FLhd8
Meet Our students
Study with us and start your journey of changing the world by creating better and more liveable sustainable cities.
The Sustainable Urban Mobility Transitions programme is aimed to educate, inspire, and unite future leaders in the Urban Mobility Sector. The skills learned in this programme are in high demand in cities, transport authorities, research institutes and industries across Europe and worldwide. As a graduate, you will be an adaptable team player with a diverse set of analytical skills and theoretical knowledge in the field of urban mobility.
Scholarships and Funding
EIT Urban Mobility offers generous scholarships to attract top talents worldwide. Our scholarships are merit-based and cover your study duration of two years. They include partial tuition fee waivers and monthly allowances. Please visit our website for more detailed information and apply: Scholarships
New Opportunity Scholarship: The EIT Urban Mobility Master School is offering a full tuition fee waiver and 1.000 Euro relocation allowance per year to applicants affected by the current situation in Ukraine. Applicants should meet the admissions criteria when applying to our Master’s programmes and should submit an application by April 15, 17:00 CEST. For further information, please contact us: [email protected]
The Sustainable Urban Mobility Transitions programme welcomes students with an array of backgrounds and experiences. The programme is ideal for students with a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Information Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Geoinformation Technology, Urban Planning, Geography, and/or Economics. Additional disciplines are welcome provided that students have a solid foundation in quantitative approaches to solving problems and verifiable experience in programming, calculus, linear algebra, and mathematical statistics.
The Sustainable Urban Mobility Transitions programme is aimed to educate, inspire, and unite future leaders in the Urban Mobility Sector. The skills learned in this programme are in high demand in cities, transport authorities, research institutes, and industries across Europe and worldwide. As a graduate, you will be an adaptable team player with a diverse set of analytical skills and theoretical knowledge in the field of urban mobility.
Participate in our live programme webinar or request a recorded version
The Master School Office organizes master’s programmes webinars where prospective applicants can talk to the Programme Leads and university representatives; chat with the current students, and get answers to all their questions!