Master of Education (Advanced)
Edith Cowan University
Distance Learning, On-Campus
Earliest start date
Provides an opportunity for motivated professionals concerned with educational practice to undertake advanced coursework in fields of particular interest.
The course provides students with knowledge and understandings across a range of specialist areas suited to each student's needs and choices.
The two-year duration makes this course ideal for international students and allows for further development of academic communication skills and the opportunity to graduate with two specialisations.
Academic Admission requirements (Band 8)
The following course-specific admission requirements are mandatory and must be satisfied by all applicants. These requirements are in addition to or supersede the minimum requirements outlined within the Academic admission requirements band section below.
All applicants are required to have a Bachelor of Education. Alternatively, applicants can have a Bachelor level degree in any other field, plus a Graduate Diploma of Education or a Master of Teaching. Special entry may be considered for students with a Bachelor level degree in another field, or a three-year trained teacher, both supported by extensive professional experience, with equivalents considered.
Academic admission requirements (Band 8) may be satisfied through the completion of one of the following:
- Bachelor degree in a cognate discipline; or
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years of relevant professional experience.
English Language requirements (Band 4)
English competency requirements may be satisfied through the completion of one of the following:
- IELTS Academic Overall band minimum score of 6.5 (no individual band less than 6.0);
- Bachelor degree from a country specified on the English Proficiency Bands page;
- Successfully completed 0.375 EFTSL of study at postgraduate level or higher at an Australian higher education provider (or equivalent);
- Where accepted, equivalent prior learning, including at least five years of relevant professional experience; or
- Other tests, courses or programmes defined on the English Proficiency Bands page.
- Semester 1: Study full-time at Mount Lawley or Online
- Semester 2: Study full-time at Mount Lawley or Online
|Unit Code||Unit Title||Credit Points|
|RES6101||Research Preparation: Methods of Research||20|
|EDU6160||Leading Education in a Global Context||15|
|EDU6170||Assessment in Education: Policies, Pedagogy and Equity||15|
|CMM5160||Effective Communication in Professional Contexts||20|
|CMM5165||Media and Society in a Globalised World||20|
|CMM5180||Public Relations Strategies||20|
|Unit from Specialisation||x 8||120|
Students will normally complete two areas of specialisation. Alternatively, students may complete one specialisation and choose their remaining 60 credit points from a mix of specialisations, in consultation with the course coordinator.
Specialisations you can study in this course
- Catholic Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Leading Education
- Learning Difficulties
- Literacy Education
- Special Education
- Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- Behaviour and Wellbeing
Course Learning Outcomes
- Apply cognitive, technical and creative skills to critique educational strategies and practices and synthesise complex ideas in authentic situations.
- Apply communication and collaboration skills to contributions to professional practice/scholarship.
- Reflect critically on a complex body of education knowledge, research principles and methods to demonstrate mastery of educational research.
- Use high-level self-management skills to plan a substantial project.
This course will support graduates in professional advancement as teachers, leaders and administrators.
Possible future job titles
Principal, Teaching Coordinator, School Leader, School Administrator, Level 3 School Teacher, Lecturer.