Master in Power Systems and Communication Technology
Brno University of Technology
Brno, Czech Republic
EUR 1,000 / per year
31 Mar 2024*
Earliest start date
* Apply through e-application here: https://www.vut.cz/eprihlaska/en/zadani/vybrat-fakultu
The transmission of electricity means the transmission of data as well
The Power Systems and Telecommunication Technology is a brand new study program that offers a great opportunity to get educated in a very interesting career field with massive potential. The uniqueness of the program lies in the appropriate connection of knowledge in the field of telecommunications, informatics, and power engineering, when the graduate is not only closely focused on one specific area, but has a broader knowledge of information and communication technologies and principles of production, transmission, and distribution of electricity.
This ensures high adaptability of the graduates to all concrete demands of their future professional practice not only in the field of systems for management, protection, and dispatching equipment power systems but also in a wide range of industrial applications.
Keywords: power systems, communication, technology, BUT, Master
The study program Power Systems and Communication Technology offers a follow-up master's degree, in which the focus on electrical engineering related to the production, transmission, distribution, and use of electricity is combined with subjects of theoretical and practical informatics and communication technology. The association of both knowledge areas created a study program that reflects the demands of the current and future development of electricity. The basis are courses focused on mobile and fixed communications, modern network technologies, telecommunications services, security methods, and high-speed multimedia transmissions, as well as the theory of distribution network failures, methods of their protection, power quality and EMC, and diagnostics in power engineering. , high voltage technology, operation of electricity production with synchronous alternators as well as operation of renewable sources or the current state and operation of electrical station equipment.
The aim of the study is:
- to provide students with practical knowledge and deeper theoretical foundations of modern telecommunications and information technology in conjunction with the basics of mathematical models for controlling interconnected power systems, power flow calculations and voltage regulation, frequency control, and dispatching control and equip them for highly qualified work in power control systems.
- to teach students to use the knowledge of low-current electronics and communication technology in the design of new devices or systems ensuring economical and trouble-free operation of transmission, distribution, and industrial networks.
1st Year of Study
- Power Plant Electrical Equipment (en)
- Transient Phenomena (en)
- Power Transmission Networks (en)
- Projecting, Administration and Security of Computer Networks (en)
- Optical Networks (en)
Required Optional Course
- Distribution Equipment (en)
- Data Communication (en)
- Electrical Power Distribution (en)
- Biophysics (en)
- Differential Equations in Electrical Engineering (en)
- Solid State Physics (en)
- Plasma Physics and Diagnostics (en)
- Communication Systems for Io T (en)
- Quantum and Laser Electronics (en)
- Electromagnetic Field Modeling (en)
- Modern Physics (en)
- Nanotechnology (en)
- Non-Destructive Diagnostics and Physics of Dielectrics (en)
- The Power Quality and Emc (en)
- Probability, Statistics and Operations Research (en)
- Communication Technology (en)
2nd Year of Study
- Diploma Thesis (en)
- Cryptography (en)
- Mobile Network Communication Systems (en)
- Power Systems Control (en)
- Advanced Data Transmission Technology (en)
- Economy of Electrical Power Engineering (en)
- Semestral Project (en)
Required Optional Course
- Energy Use (en)
- Foundations of Cryptography (en)
Any Year of Study
Required Optional Course
- Parallel Data Processing (en)
- Czech Language (en)
The Uniqueness of The Program Lies in The Appropriate Connection of Knowledge in The Field of Telecommunications, Informatics and Electricity, Where the Graduate Is Not only Closely Focused on One Specific Area, but Has Broader Knowledge of Information and Communication Technologies and Principles of Production, Transmission and Distribution of Electricity. Thanks to This, a High Adaptability of The Graduate to All Specific Requirements of His Future Professional Practice Is Ensured, Not only In the Field of Systems for Control, Protection and Dispatching of Power System Equipment, but Also in A Wide Range of Industrial Applications. the Graduate Has Quality Knowledge and Skills in The Field of Communication and Information Equipment or Systems, Sufficient Control of Related Knowledge in The Design of Radio Communications, Instrumentation or Applications of Microelectronic Circuits and Gained Qualified Knowledge in The Design and Operation of Equipment in Power Engineering, Heavy Current Electrical Engineering and In Industry. Graduates of The Field Will Therefore Be Employed in Research and Development Within the Current Needs and Future Development of Electricity and Communication and Information Technologies and Are Also Able to Hold Higher Technical-Managerial and Managerial Positions.
What Degree Programme Types May Have Preceded
The Graduates May Continue in A Doctoral Study Programme.
The typical employer of a graduate of the study program Power Systems and Communication Technology will undoubtedly be the operators of transmission and distribution networks, but also suppliers of technologies for the management of operation and communication of electricity infrastructure equipment. The expected level of employment is high, because the professional orientation of the graduate of this study program will correspond to the current trend of digitization of systems for managing the production and consumption of electricity.