MA Popular Music Practice
Brighton, United Kingdom
1 - 2 year
Full time, Part time
Request info *
Earliest start date
* on request
A Master's at BIMM is the next step if you want to further develop yourself academically, creatively, and professionally after your degree.
This course is available at BIMM Music Institute in the UK (Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, London, Manchester) Ireland (Dublin), and BIMM University Berlin (Germany). In our campus in Dublin, this course is currently not available to international students who require sponsorship of a Student Route Visa.
Research, collaboration, professional development, experimentation, 1-2-1 guidance, and more. This is what our MA Popular Music Practice offers you. Over a full twelve-month period of study – or 24 months if you choose our part-time option – you’ll be pushed to expand upon everything you know, moving you away from the skills-based style of undergraduate learning and towards becoming an influential and unique voice in your industry.
Our clearly defined course structure is intelligently composed to cover theoretical, practical, and collaborative elements. It culminates in a major project of your choice focusing on one of the following paths: performance, production, composition, or entrepreneurship. The path that you choose for your major project will be the specialism stated on your final qualification.
Choose your specialism and focus on performance, production, composition, or entrepreneurship.
- Mode of attendance: Full-time (one year) or part-time (two years)
- Awarding institution: BIMM University (UK)
- Campus delivery: Berlin, Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Dublin*, London, Manchester
- Language of study: English
- Final award: MA Popular Music Practice
- Credits: 90 ECTS// 180 FHEQ (UK) Level credits
- Admissions Criteria: A good degree (normally 2.2 or above) or significant experience in a relevant field. All applicants will be subject to interview and a portfolio may also be requested for Recognition of Prior Certified or Experiential Learning (RPCEL).
Scholarships and Funding
Early Confirmation Discount
An early confirmation discount for study in the UK of £2,000 or €2,000 for study in Germany or Ireland for each year of study is available to all international students ineligible for home (domestic) fees who have an offer to study with us at any of our campuses in the UK, Germany or Ireland.
To be eligible for the Early Confirmation Discount, you must:
- Be an overseas applicant ineligible for home (domestic) fees
- Apply and receive an offer to study a BIMM University course
- Accept your offer
- Pay your deposit, if applicable, by the deadline of 15th June 2024
- The scholarship will automatically be deducted from your fees when you enroll.
This discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other discount, offer, or scholarship.
Future Talent Scholarship
Launching for September 2024 entry, the new Future Talent Scholarships provide a full 3-year tuition fee for undergraduate students studying courses in music, film, acting, or creative technology. These scholarships are aimed at candidates from low-income households and/or groups under-represented in the creative industries. We are looking to support those who demonstrate talent in their chosen discipline, strong creative potential, and a high motivation for a career in the creative industries.
The scholarship offers financial support, a supportive training environment, and a skills and career development program designed to support progression to future careers in the creative industries.
Please note: module names and structure may be subject to change.
- Popular Music Practice and Research
- You and the Popular Music Industry
- Popular Music & Technology
- Exploring Collaborative Practice
- Major Project
Program Tuition Fee
You will be qualified to work as an advanced practitioner or educator/researcher within the field of popular music practice and related creative industries.