Master of Music in Contemporary Performance (Production Concentration)
Berklee College of Music - Campus Valencia
Valencian Community, Spain
Earliest start date
The Master of Music in Contemporary Performance with a concentration in production is designed to give advanced instrumentalists and vocalists of any style the confidence and skills in performance and production technology to take their careers to the next level.
It is distinctly contemporary in its content and approach, and embraces the principal musical movements of our time, allowing students to master their own style while discovering others. Students develop a strong artistic identity through frequent performance opportunities, private instruction, ensembles, and studio recordings. Throughout the program, students become adept at pre-production, recording, and mixing processes through ample firsthand experience in state-of-the-art studios—ready to meet the unique demands facing the artist of tomorrow.
- 30+ live concert opportunities
- 45+ clinics and workshops
- 100+ original songs recorded
- 100+ gigs outside of school
The program is style-independent and is open to advanced performers from a wide variety of genres and styles, such as jazz, latin, world music, pop, rock, classical, electronic and fusion, among others. Through hands-on playing and recording experience, students expand your musical horizons and learn to work with diverse and dynamic musicians.
Students spend ample time on pre-production, recording and mixing processes in our state-of-the-art recording studios and scoring stage designed by the Walters-Storyk Design Group. By the end of the program, you'll feel confident in any studio setting.
Live and Recorded Performance
Through private instruction, ensembles, the performance forum, and frequent performance opportunities, students work with faculty and visiting artists to develop their artistic identity to shine on stage or in the studio.
Who We Are Looking For
Ideal candidates will:
- Ideal candidates will:
- Enter the program with a very advanced level of instrumental or vocal technique and musical skill;
- Desire to expand their experience through further exploration of familiar and new styles including fusions of genres;
- Be deeply motivated to learn and apply strategies for recorded music production (including the preproduction, recording, and mixing processes) to their craft, with a focus on artistic identity and intent; and
- Demonstrate a strong interest in learning and applying new performance technology, electroacoustic instruments, and video into their live and recorded performances.
Scholarships and Funding
Berklee College of Music, offers merit- and need-based scholarships to prospective graduate students on Berklee’s campus in Valencia, Spain, so that the most gifted musicians from all over the world have the means to attend.
All applicants who apply for a scholarship will automatically be considered for the awards listed below.
- Berklee General Scholarship: all master's degree applicants are eligible. Amount varies depending on merits.
- Berklee Groove Scholarship: eligible for M.M in Contemporary Performance (Production Concentration) applicants whose principal instruments are drums, bass, general rhythm section, traditional/folk/non-traditional, covering up to 90% of tuition fees
- Berklee Alumni Scholarship: awarded to an outstanding Berklee undergraduate alumnus/a who has demonstrated excellence, exceptional talent, and outstanding achievement throughout their undergraduate studies.
- Berklee Global Partners Scholarship: Awarded to an outstanding student, alumnus/a, or faculty member from a Berklee Global Partners school.
- Berklee Outstanding Women Scholarship and Mentorship: awarded to one gifted individual per graduate program who supports the musicianship and leadership of women in the music industry, covering up to 70% of tuition fees.
Berklee CACSA scholarships: annual scholarship program aimed at Valencian students who have been admitted to any of its master's degree programs.
The Master of Music degree in contemporary performance (production concentration) offers advanced studies to instrumentalists and vocalists who demonstrate excellent musical proficiency and a desire to develop their individual artistry and performance career regardless of style or instrument. Through the program, advanced musicians have the opportunity to develop their artistry in a wide array of performance and recorded projects.
Students work with master musicians in a variety of genres such as flamenco, salsa, rock, Afro-Cuban, jazz, electronic music, and more. Through applied lessons, ensembles, master classes, and coursework, students deepen their understanding of the harmonic and stylistic practices associated with their chosen area of performance.
Students also learn to master the technological and entrepreneurial skills that are essential for the contemporary performer. Through the study of music business and recorded production, students develop strategies for producing and marketing their performance projects. Students’ projects may take a variety of forms: a recording project, a concert, a lecture/demonstration, a grant proposal, a website marketing plan, or another option of students’ devising. This program is distinctly contemporary in its content and approach, and embraces the principal musical movements of our time.
Berklee Valencia has been included in Billboard’s Top Music Business Schools ranking of 2020 and 2022.
When students complete the Master of Music in contemporary performance (production concentration), they'll have the ability to:
- When students complete the Master of Music in contemporary performance (production concentration), they'll have the ability to:
- Integrate languages, techniques, and contemporary styles to music performance in the context of studio recording as well as in live performance.
- Display expertise in technology applications as related to the recording, production, and post-production processes.
- Apply musical and artistic aesthetics to projects in a variety of contexts and styles.
- Integrate techniques to original music creation, be it in spontaneous or predetermined processes, applied to their own artistic choices as well as to others.
- Produce musical works that integrate artistic and technological processes related to their own area of expertise.
- Integrate different digital formats available to recording, production, and distribution contexts.
- Integrate elements involved in the production, promotion, and distribution of a musical product, as applied to their own projects as well as to those by others.
- Apply new models of knowledge and artistic creation dissemination based in new technologies and the internet.
The culminating experience is the final project that students present at the end of the program and is related to their career direction. Through the culminating experience, students make a creative contribution to and/or define and solve a problem that exists in the profession. Working in close consultation with their advisor, the performer’s culminating experience will fall into one of three categories—a creative work, a practical project, or a research project—and may take a variety of forms such as a recording project, a concert, a lecture/demonstration, a grant proposal, a website marketing plan, a video lesson series, or another option of students’ devising.
Getting a master's degree from Berklee College of Music pushes you towards the next big step in your career, and the International Career Center (ICC) is one of the resources you have to help get you there. The mission of the ICC is to provide expert guidance, cutting-edge resources, and professional development experiences to help our diverse body of students achieve their career goals. Rather than acting as a one-time job link, our overall focus is on career management. We help you access available resources and activities and apply them to your career path.
Possible Career Paths
Getting a master's degree in contemporary performance opens you to a world of possibilities in the music industry and beyond. After graduating, many students work as performing artists, session musicians, songwriters, and some discover additional opportunities in teaching, sound design, production, etc.
Accelerate your career at Berklee Valencia
Berklee Valencia is an unparalleled destination for those seeking a comprehensive education and opportunities in the music industry. As a student at Berklee Valencia, you will become part of a vibrant, international community, where you will receive a top-notch practical education that prepares you for success in the competitive music industry.
You will have the opportunity to engage with renowned industry professionals and guest speakers, attend networking events, and collaborate with fellow musicians from around the world. This creates a unique learning environment that not only expands your musical knowledge but also provides valuable connections and exposure to the industry.