Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS)
Asian Institute of Management
USD 29,500 / per year
Request info *
Earliest start date
* Applications for MSDS Batch 2020 is now open.
Asian Institute of Management (AIM) & Aboitiz School of Innovation, Technology and Entrepreneurship (SITE)
Asian Institute of Management (AIM) is the Asian pioneer in management education and an international graduate school with a vision to inspire and support a uniquely Asian approach to business and societal management that respects the social and financial impact of its decisions and actions.
AIM is the first school in Southeast Asia to receive accreditation from the US-based Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), globally recognized as having the world's highest standards.
In line with AIM's vision to develop managers, entrepreneurs, and leaders who can deliver meaningful and sustainable growth in Asian businesses and societies, the Aboitiz School of Innovation, Technology, and Entrepreneurship or SITE is envisioned to be the hub in Asia for nurturing future-ready leaders who are comfortable with uncertainty and confident and competent in handling issues in a rapidly changing environment.
By collocating innovators, data scientists, technologists, and entrepreneurs, SITE is positioned to be a catalyst for generating impact, powering innovation, and creating value in the Asian context. The school has three programs: the MS Data Science, the MS Innovation and Business, and the Master in Entrepreneurship. They are purposely linked because the linkage between technology, innovation, and entrepreneurial spirit is essential to thriving in this era of digitization, or the so-called "Industry 4.0".
Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS)
A four-term, 14-month full-time program which includes 10-core data science modules and 15 business and or management modules, with 2 electives and 1 capstone project that requires students to deal with real-world problems.
The curriculum is academically rigorous and concentrates on the techniques, models, and technologies used in the field of advanced analytics. MSDS graduates will be capable of formulating the right questions and identifying the correct, innovative, and data-driven approaches to address highly diverse issues.
AIM's Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS) is the first graduate data science degree program in the Philippines. This 14-month intensive course is designed to produce experts in the fastest-growing, most sought-after specialization worldwide.
The AIM MSDS curriculum reflects the latest trends and best practices in the field — from data mining and exploration to machine learning, deep learning, and big data analytics.
Moreover, learning will directly address one particular pain point of the enterprise — when its data scientists cannot provide unique actionable insights.
At AIM, data scientists work closely with domain experts familiar with business and management issues. Students will, therefore, learn how to formulate the right questions and identify the correct datasets to address highly diverse business and research problems.
More crucially, they will be taught how to properly communicate results and data-driven insights to maximize their impact on business and industry.
All MSDS students will have access to a world-class computing facility housed at AIM. The facility is part of the Institute’s Analytics, Computing, and Complex Systems (ACCeSs) lab, AIM’s interface with various government and industry projects as well as world-class research to push the boundaries of Data Science and Complex Systems Science.
Program at a Glance
- A 14-month intensive, full-time degree program.
- For data scientists and would-be data scientists who want to provide relevant and timely data-driven actionable insights to MNCs, industries, SMBs, and governments.
- Students will be exposed to the latest technologies, models, and technologies in the field of advanced analytics.
- The program develops proper communication skills in presenting data-driven insights to maximize the impact on the business.
- Capstone course requires students (closely guided by AIM's lead mentors) to work with real-world, data-driven problems, allowing them to graduate from the program with a job-ready portfolio.
The MSDS program comprises four terms over 14 months.
- Programming for Data Science
- Mathematics for Data Science
- Intro to Data Science and the Fundamentals of Data Privacy
- Data Visualization and Storytelling
- Design Thinking
- Human Behavior in Organizations
- Applied Computational Statistics
- Data Mining and Wrangling
- Machine Learning
- Management Communications
- Managerial Accounting
- Digital Marketing and Analytics I
- Economics for Business
- Big Data and Cloud Computing
- Big Data - Lab with Portfolio Project
- Deep Learning
- Data Science Elective
- Digital Marketing and Analytics II
- Project Management
- Network Science
- Data Science Elective
- Capstone Project
- Strategic Management
What kind of time commitment does the course require?
Students will spend 3 – 6 hours per class inside the classroom. The MSDS program is divided into four terms.
- Term 1: March-April 2019
- Term 2: May-August 2019
- Term 3: September-December 2019
- Term 4: January-April 2020
How much is the tuition fee?
Do I have to pay the entire tuition fee before classes start?
Tuition can be paid either in full or four installments, one per semester. However, students should pay a reservation fee within one month of receiving an acceptance letter, which will be deducted from the total fee. For details, call +63 2 892.4011 ext. 3004, or e-mail [email protected].
Am I qualified to take up a Master of Science in Data Science?
Qualifications to join the MSDS program
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) general test, or the AIM Data Science qualifying exam.
- Undergraduate degree with minimum course requirements and/or work experience.
- Proficiency in oral and written English.
Minimum course requirements for new graduates
- Basic Calculus
- Linear Algebra
- At least one of the following:
- Computer Programming
- Probability and Statistics
- Advanced Physics
- Advanced Mathematics
- Any subject that requires advanced quantitative and mathematical rigor
Minimum requirements for those with work experience (at least two years in any of the following)
- Technical work experience, preferably in data analysis and/or data engineering.
- Work experience with SAS, Matlab / Octave, Python, C/C++, R, BI tools, and/or other data science/analytics tools.
Do I need to do anything to prepare for the MSDS program?
During the first term, students will jump right into programming and mathematics.
For the Mathematics for Data Science course, students are strongly advised to review their Basic Calculus and Linear Algebra courses. We recommended that students prepare further by visiting the Khan Academy website for topics on vectors and spaces, matrix transformations, derivative introduction, basic differentiation, product, quotient, and chain rules, and derivative applications.
For the Programming for Data Science course, we encourage students who need to refresh their knowledge or who do not have any programming background to visit the Codeacademy website for free tutorials.
What thesis do I need to produce?
The MSDS capstone project will be driven by real-world problems from a local industry or government agency. To ensure that high-quality work is delivered to industry or government “clients,” the Data Science core faculty will closely mentor students through the resolution of these data-driven problems.
Outputs can vary from technical reports to deployable interactive applications or software.
Aside from the capstone project, students will have their job-ready portfolios published on GitHub, which they can show potential employers at the end of the program.
What do I need to submit to apply for the MSDS program?
- Complete the online application form.
- Curriculum vitae.
- AIM Admissions Test for Data Science, GMAT, or GRE Official Score Report.
- Transcript of Academic Records.
- Professional recommendation (If self-employed, a Certificate of Business Registration instead).
- Any government-issued ID.
Qualified applicants will be invited for an interview with the faculty on a mutually convenient date.
The Master of Science in Data Science (MSDS) program is a 14-month, full-time degree course. It is designed for students and professionals who are quantitatively and analytically equipped to be ranked among the world’s leading data scientists.
At the end of the program, students are expected to:
- Come Up With the Right Questions: Know how to solve data-driven problems and build models; equally important: help identify the right questions by working with domain and field experts.
- Communicate Effectively: Present and explain data-driven results and strategies in a manner which clients can easily grasp to help them in decision-making.
- Generate Business Value: Have the knack for identifying business value, rather than being too focused on building complex models.
- Immediately Apply Learning: Graduate with job-ready portfolios to showcase all the skills developed during the program.