Aichi Prefectural University can trace its origins back to Aichi Prefectural Women’s Special College, which was founded in 1947. It was established following the end of the Second World War when the residents of Aichi Prefecture wanted to recover from a period of confusion. This Women’s Special College was composed of only two departments: the Department of Japanese Literature and the Department of English Literature. At some time after that, the Special College was reorganized into the Women’s Junior College. Then, in 1957, Aichi Prefectural Women’s College, which offered a four-year course, was opened. Both of these colleges, as prestigious institutes of women’s higher education in the Chubu region, were committed to promoting competent individuals. Nine years later, in 1966, Aichi Prefectural University, a co-educational institution, was established. At that time, the university was organized into three schools (the School of Literature, the School of Foreign Studies, and the School of Foreign Studies II), and nine departments.
In 1998, the campus was relocated from Nagoya city to the hilly eastern district of Nagakute, and the facilities were modernized. As a result, the School of Information Science and Technology was founded as the university’s first school of science courses - with the Graduate School of Information Science and Technology being launched, the following year. Also during this period of modernizing, the Graduate School of International Studies opened its doors, and the facilities at the departments of both the School of Literature and the School of Foreign Studies were expanded and improved. Since then, Aichi Prefectural University has been producing professionals to play a vital role in their specialized fields. This is based on our educational philosophy which aims to advance globalization, informatization, social welfare, and the society of lifelong learning. Furthermore, the university, being a public institution, also desires to contribute to regional development.