Master's Degree in English Language Teaching
First taught in 2007, the Master’s Degree in Foreign Language Teaching (SFL/EFL) has now split into its two component specialities: English and Spanish. The resulting Master’s Degree in English Language Teaching aims to train professionals to teach English for both general and specific purposes. The degree is a combination of professional and research tracks, and it is designed for national and international graduates, with or without experience, who wish to work professionally in the field of English language teaching.
The obvious area in which the graduates from this programme can work is English language teaching at all levels. In general, language teaching provides students with multidisciplinary training in the humanities which prepares them for all sorts of activities involving the transmission of cultural knowledge. The future master’s-degree graduates will be qualified to work in the following fields:
- Language teaching
- English teachers in private and state-run language teaching institutions in Spain (Official School of Languages, language services, language academies, adult education, etc.)
- English teachers abroad in both private and state-run institutions
- English teachers for specific purposes in private companies, multinationals and international agencies
- Teachers of other subjects in English for bilingual institutions
- Heads or heads of studies in schools
- English language assistants in foreign universities
- English language teachers in secondary schools
- Language advisors for schools, publishers, or other public and private companies
- University lecturers at graduate or postgraduate level
- Researcher into teaching– learning English
- Author of text books for learning English in publishers and similar companies
- Author of teaching materials – online language learning for publishers and similar companies
- Educational advisor in schools, publishers and other public or private institutions
- Research and knowledge transfer in interdisciplinary research groups
- Language and cultural mediation in public or private institutions
Afternoons from 17:00 to 21:00 h (plus the period of work experience)
Language of instruction
The Master’s Degree is designed mainly for students with a background in English studies, and such related fields as modern languages, culture and communication, translation and interpretation, or schoolteachers specializing in foreign languages. Nevertheless, the Master’s Degree is also open to people holding some sort of official university degree (bachelor’s degree, pre-Bologna bachelor’s degree or 3-year diploma), or an equivalent that may not be directly related. In the latter case, students will be required to take a bridging course (see the specific regulations).
FIRST YEAR: Compulsory subjects
- Second Language Acquisition
- Methodology of Second Language Teaching
- Materials and Techniques in ELT
- Computer-Assisted Language Learning (CALL) and New Technologies in ELT
- Grammar and Lexicon in the EL Classroom
- Pronunciation in the EL Classroom
- Research Methods and Tools in ELT
- Optional subjects
- Pragmatics in the EL Classroom
- Final Master's Project
In this section you will find the list of all the optional subjects on the curriculum. Before you select the subjects you wish to register for, please make sure that they have been activated.
- Strategies for Teaching English to Children
- English for Specific Purposes
- Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)
- Culture in the EL Classroom
- Literature and Cinema in the EL Classroom
BRIDGING COURSES: (*)
- English Language III
- English Language IV
(*)After checking the candidate’s transcript, the body responsible for admission can decide that the student must attend and satisfactorily complete some of the subjects that are programmed as bridging courses.
To be admitted on the programme, students must hold one of the following qualifications:
- Pre-Bologna Bachelor’s Degree in English Studies; Bachelor’s Degree in English; Bachelor’s Degree in Modern Languages, Culture and Communication; Bachelor’s Degree in Translation and Interpretation, or other qualifications with a foreign-language component such as the Diploma in Primary-School Teaching (Foreign Language Speciality), the Bachelor’s Degree in Infant Education or Primary Education (Speciality in English), and the Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Tourism, and other similar qualifications. The Master’s Degree is also open to holders of some sort of official university degree (bachelor’s degree, pre-Bologna bachelor’s degree or 3-year diploma), or an equivalent that may not be directly related. In the latter case, students will be required to take a bridging course (see specific regulations).
- An official qualification issued by a higher education institution in the EHEA, which enables its holder to be admitted on a master’s degree programme in the issuing country.
- A qualification issued by an education system that does not belong to the EHEA. If it has not been officially recognized, the URV must first check that:
- the educational level is equivalent to that of a corresponding Spanish official university degree.
- it enables holders in the issuing country to be admitted on a postgraduate programme.
Specific documentationEnglish language requirements:
- Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: C1 level
- EOI: 5th course or EOI Advanced Level.
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English.
- TOEFL scores: minimum 110.
- IELTS - International English Language Testing System, minimum 6.5
Selection CriteriaStudents will be selected using the following criteria:
- Academic background: up to 30 points. In particular:
- Degree in English Studies: maximum 30 points
- Other degree: maximum 20 points
- Academic record: maximum 25 points
- Other relevant academic training: maximum 10 points
- English teaching experience: maximum 10 points
- Motivation letter: maximum 5 points
- Extended visits to English-speaking countries (at least 4 weeks, with supporting documents): maximum 5 points
- Other language teaching experience: maximum 5 points
- Other teaching experience: maximum 5 points
- Mastery of English above the required minimum: maximum 5 points
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 30, 2017