First taught in 2007, the Master’s Degree in Foreign Language Teaching (SFL/EFL) has now split into its two component specialities: English and Spanish. The resulting Master’s Degree in English Language Teaching aims to train professionals to teach English for both general and specific purposes. The degree is a combination of professional and research tracks, and it is designed for national and international graduates, with or without experience, who wish to work professionally in the field of English language teaching.
To be admitted to the programme, students must hold one of the following qualifications:
- Pre-Bologna Bachelor’s Degree in English Studies; Bachelor’s Degree in English; Bachelor’s Degree in Modern Languages, Culture and Communication; Bachelor’s Degree in Translation and Interpretation, or other qualifications with a foreign-language component such as the Diploma in Primary-School Teaching (Foreign Language Speciality), the Bachelor’s Degree in Infant Education or Primary Education (Speciality in English), and the Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Tourism, and other similar qualifications. The Master’s Degree is also open to holders of some sort of official university degree (bachelor’s degree, pre-Bologna bachelor’s degree or 3-year diploma), or an equivalent that may not be directly related. In the latter case, students will be required to take a bridging course (see specific regulations).
- An official qualification issued by a higher education institution in the EHEA, which enables its holder to be admitted on a master’s degree programme in the issuing country.
- A qualification issued by an education system that does not belong to the EHEA. If it has not been officially recognized, the URV must first check that:
- the educational level is equivalent to that of a corresponding Spanish official university degree.
- it enables holders in the issuing country to be admitted on a postgraduate programme.
Specific documentation required
As well as the compulsory general documentation required for pre-enrolment in the programme, you must submit the C1 level of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages through one of these English language certificates:
- EOI: 5th course or EOI Advanced Level.
- Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English.
- TOEFL scores: minimum 110.
- IELTS - International English Language Testing System, minimum 6.5
In the absence of supporting documents, the Admissions Board may establish additional mechanisms to determine a candidate's level of English.
Optionally, you can also submit:
- Proof of other relevant academic training like: mastery of English above the required minimum, English teaching experience, other language teaching experience, teaching experience in general, among others.
- Proof of extended visits to English-speaking countries (at least 4 weeks, with supporting documents).
- Letter of motivation for academic coordination.
If you come from unrelated programmes of study you will be required to take a bridging course (depending on the student this can vary between 6 and 12 credits). Each case will be individually evaluated by the Academic Committee.
- Academic background: up to 30 points. In particular:
- Degree in English Studies: maximum 30 points
- Another degree: maximum 20 points
- Academic record: maximum 25 points
- Other relevant academic training: maximum 10 points
- English teaching experience: maximum 10 points
- Motivation letter: maximum 5 points
- Extended visits to English-speaking countries (at least 4 weeks, with supporting documents): maximum 5 points
- Other language teaching experience: maximum 5 points
- Other teaching experience: maximum 5 points
- Mastery of English above the required minimum: maximum 5 points
The obvious area in which the graduates from this programme can work is English language teaching at all levels. In general, language teaching provides students with multidisciplinary training in the humanities which prepares them for all sorts of activities involving the transmission of cultural knowledge. The future master's degree graduates will be qualified to work in the following fields:
- Language teaching
- English teachers abroad in both private and state-run institutions
- English teachers for specific purposes in private companies, multinationals and international agencies
- Teachers of other subjects in English for bilingual institutions
- Heads or heads of studies in schools
- English language assistants in foreign universities
- English language teachers in secondary schools
- Language advisors for schools, publishers, or other public and private companies
- University lecturers at a graduate or postgraduate level
- Researcher into teaching- learning English
- Author of textbooks for learning English in publishers and similar companies
- Author of teaching materials - online language learning for publishers and similar companies
- Educational advisor in schools, publishers and other public or private institutions
- English teachers in private and state-run language teaching institutions in Spain (Official School of Languages, language services, language academies, adult education, etc.)*
- Research and knowledge transfer in interdisciplinary research groups
- Language and cultural mediation in public or private institutions
*Teachers in Spain must hold the Master's degree in Training for Teachers of Compulsory Secondary Education and Upper Secondary Education, Professional Training and Language Teaching
About the School
The Universitat Rovira i Virigili is located in the province of Tarragona, close to Barcelona, in one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe. It is a young and dynamic university serving ... Read More