The overall objective of this master's degree is to train you to become researcher and professional in the field of fermented beverages, especially wine, sparkling wine, and beer.
It, therefore, offers three clear professional specializations:
- Oenology research: This specialization trains future researchers in the field of oenology and food biotechnology and gives students the chance to follow their studies with a doctoral programme.
- Science and technology of sparkling wines: This specialization trains future professionals in oenology or viticulture who wish to specialize in the production of sparkling wine, a sector that is widely represented in Catalonia.
- Science and technology of beer: This specialization trains professionals from different fields (biotechnologists, winemakers, engineers, etc.) in the process of brewing different types of beer on an industrial and artisanal scale.
There is also the option of doing the master without choosing a particular specializations, but rather a more generic profile. This way the degree, then, is broad in scope with both research and professional objectives.
This Master's degree is designed for graduates of Biosciences such as Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Chemistry, Oenology, Pharmacy, Food Science and Technology, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Economics, Dietetics and Nutrition, and holders of any diploma or degree in engineering, who wish to further their knowledge of the production of fermented beverages, in particular sparkling wine and beer, or to do research in oenology and biotechnology.
It is desirable for students to have a good knowledge of the main language of instruction (Spanish), and a basic level of English in oral comprehension and writing.
Depending on their prior training and the specialization, students may be required to do bridging course.
Specific documentation required
As well as the compulsory general documentation required for pre-enrolment to the programme, you must also submit the following documents:
- Letter of motivation for academic coordination. It must be specified the specialization you choose:
- Oenology research
- Science and technology of sparkling wines
- Science and technology of beer
- Proof of knowledge of Spanish (only if you are not from Spanish speaking country).
Optionally, you can also submit:
- Proof of knowledge of English (above the minimum required).
- Proof of additional training related to the content of the master's degree (courses, seminars or other training activities, for which proof must be provided).
- Proof of professional experience and stays abroad.
- Letters of recommendation.
- Evaluation of the students' academic record in the university degree qualifying them for admission to the master's degree: up to 5 points.
- Complementary training relevant to the content of the master's degree (documentary accreditation): up to 2 points.
- Professional experience relevant to the content of the master's degree (related to the selected specialty), and stays abroad: up to 2 points.
- Competence in English above the minimum required: up to 1 point.
This master's degree focuses mainly on basic and applied research in oenology and food biotechnology, as well as the production of fermented beverages, business management, marketing of products and equipment for the sector, laboratory work and communication. This way, if you graduate in the University Master's degree in Fermented Beverages you will have the following career opportunities:
- R&D departments in public and private research institutions.
- Applied research, consultancy, and intervention in the field of oenology and biotechnology.
- Laboratory analysis of food.
- Teaching at various levels.
- Production of sparkling wines.
- Viticulture for the production of sparkling wines.
- Consultancy on viticulture and oenology for sparkling wines.
- Beer brewing.
- Consultancy in the wine and beer industry.
- Marketing of fermented beverages and equipment for the sector.
- Doctoral studies.