Becoming a Product Designer in Milan today is a recognized value on professionalism. Be a master of product design!
The Politecnico, together with its advanced production system and a top-class historic culture, creates for its master students access to this value.
Politecnico's technical and design culture, placed in Design 6th place in the world and powered by Italian design masters such as Marco Zanuso and Achille Castiglioni, is integrated with the high technology and engineering expertise in the field of production and innovative materials, feeding the tradition of excellence from the Nobel Prize for Chemistry Giulio Natta to our day.
It is a high profile professionalism the Specializing Master purpose, placing the designer and product design expert in line with contemporary technology and innovation, starting from a solid tradition on creativity and method.
The Specializing Master in Industrial Design Engineering and Innovation, directed by Prof. Matteo O. Ingaramo, was created to mold capable designers who can manage the entire development of a new product from the initial concept to the manufacturing stage.
This Specializing Master joins the artistic and humanistic skills belonging to design culture with the technical know-how that relates to production technology, materials, and manufacturing costs. It strives to meet the need to operate in a worldwide landscape of heightened competition where the designer can increase the value of a product by making innovations – in both aesthetics and usability – that take advantage of available technologies. The aim is to train professionals whose creative capacity is matched by technical expertise and awareness in a product’s industrial feasibility.
Because its faculty is made up of teachers from a variety of fields, from both inside and outside the Politecnico di Milano, the Specializing Master establishes a set of multidisciplinary skills called upon throughout the course of training. Cultural visits to foundations and museums, along with technical field trips to manufacturing companies, round out the training and foster the attainment of educational objectives. Many graduates from previous editions are playing leading roles in major manufacturing concerns or renowned design studios, including Whirlpool Europe, Chicco Artsana, 3M, Polti, Cini&Nils Lighting, V12 Design, Studio Volpi, Studio Luca Trazzi, Serralunga, Rupes spa, Zinc, Design Group Italia, Toys Toys, Ditronetwork srl. Others have founded and directed their own studio.
- Manage the design and production processes for both small- and large-scale manufactured items.
- Develop an expert eye on issues of technology, manufacturing, and cost.
This program aims to train professionals to manage the design and production processes for both small- and large-scale manufactured items, with an expert eye on issues of technology, manufacturing, and cost but without sacrificing features or quality of expression.
The final exam requires students to present projects developed during the internship. The final grade takes into account assessments during the learning workshops.
Upon completion of the Specializing Master, students earn a first-level Politecnico di Milano Specializing Master Degree, provided they have met the 75% minimum attendance requirement.
In addition to the degree, the program also issues:
- Certificate for completion of course in Rhinoceros with software-manufacturer accreditation from McNeel.
- Certificate for completion of course in CREO with software-manufacturer accreditation from PTC.
- Placement may be in design studios that assist in various stages of product development, from concept to engineering.
- Placement at companies from market segments characteristic of Italian industry, such as home appliances, business equipment, lighting, furniture, toys, and childcare products.
- Program graduates who opt for consultancy will find they have enhanced capacity to interact with the entrepreneurial environment.
Their job description will be an expert product designer and project manager with a theoretical background to match significant accomplishments in applying them to manufacturing processes. After achieving the needed field experience, graduates can aspire to roles as a product manager in charge of developing new products.
Legacy Laurea or Diploma degree or current Laurea or specialization degree in engineering, architecture, or industrial design. Foreign students may present equivalent degrees earned abroad.
A maximum of 25 students can be admitted.
To take part in the selection process, the application form must be completed online within the following deadlines:
- for Italian/foreign citizens with a qualification obtained in Italy within October 2020.
- for non-EU citizens within September 2020.
Tuition and fees
- The Specializing Master costs €11,800 (including Politecnico di Milano enrollment fee of €500).
- Exempt from VAT under Article 10 of DPR 633/72.
- The cost of enrollment in the Specializing Master entitle to deduct tax of 19% as falling under "University specialization courses".
About the School
POLI.design operates in the field of design acting as an interface between universities, companies, and professional organizations, institutions, and bodies.