The Specializing Master Design for Food integrates extensive design skills with thematic and specific competences in the food area, related to humanities, gastronomic sciences, engineering, and food technology.
It, therefore, provides a wide-ranging designing capacity on process and tools for the design of the food product-service system and a series of specific thematic in-depth useful for the understanding of culture, sociological, and anthropological factors and also scientific and technological.
As a whole, it provides an explanatory and comprehensive overview of food systems, from agricultural production to food processing, from distribution to consumption, from planning to recycling in a circular economy perspective.
The Specializing Master trains design and consulting profiles who are able to integrate creative and operational skills, through the development of hard and soft skills, which train participants to work in multidisciplinary teams, in competitive and highly strategic contexts, in quick and dynamic private and public organizations.
The Specializing Master Master Design for Food aims to train professionals, entrepreneurs, independent innovators, civil servants with competences in the design and management of systems, processes, and products-services in the food sector. Professional Profiles characterized by a profile combining the design and experimental approach of the design with the thematic knowledge of the logics of the food sector in all its extension "from field to table", including the traditional and more advanced production and distribution systems and with specific attention to sustainability.
The sector already expresses forms, experimentations, experiences, innovation, and project-oriented cases require transversal expertise able to integrate in a strategic way the different design factors. For this reason, the Specializing Master completes the design (in the disciplinary extension of systems, strategies, services, products-services, communication) and food engineering skills, brought by Politecnico di Milano, with the thematic and specific ones in the food area related to humanities, food technology, and gastronomic sciences, brought by the University of Gastronomic Sciences.
Participants will be able to:
- Understand the socio-economic and environmental transformations of the sector.
- Outline innovative models and strategic orientations for the specific sector.
- Design for sustainability.
- Understand and design the territorial impacts of food supply chains.
- Use theoretical and critical skills to define design opportunities.
- Understand and use the potential of the sector's technologies, as well as the main elements of the production processes of the different supply chains.
- Design complex solutions and their articulation in terms of product, service, communication, and space.
- Manage the main elements of food safety and planning.
- Manage all phases of the process of conception, design, development, and implementation of an innovative solution in an advanced perspective that includes participatory approaches.
- Use specific design tools for design.
- Outline innovative models and strategic orientations for the specific sector
- Understand and design the territorial impacts of food supply chains
- Design complex solutions and their articulation
- Manage all phases of the process of conception, design, development, and implementation
Job description and final assessment
The opportunities for graduates to enter the job market are many and can be articulated according to different fields and roles that correspond to the different areas in which the food sector is expressed "from field to table".
Diploma of Specializing Master in "Master Design for Food" by the Politecnico di Milano.
The Specializing Master program grants 60 CFU (Formative University Credits) equivalent to 60 ECTS.
In this rapidly evolving situation due to the diffusion of Covid-19 in several countries, we would like to inform students that they will receive the information about the possibility to postpone the beginning of the Master and the related teaching activities three months before the planned start date. All the contracts previsions for the participation in the Master will be maintained.
Attendance is compulsory for three days a week during the course. A maximum absence of 25% is allowed.
Cancellation of the course must be made in writing. The training period may not be suspended for any reason. It is not possible to enroll at the same time in a University Master's Degree Course and in another course of study activated by another Italian University.
The Specializing Master welcomes candidates with a Degree or Specialist/Master's Degree in Design, Engineering, Architecture, Economics and/or Management, Social Sciences/Humanistic Sciences, Gastronomic Sciences, Agriculture, Food Technology, or to people with other types of degrees who have also gained significant professional and work experience and who wish to strengthen their professional path in the field of food innovation, acquiring and developing specific and qualified competences.
The selection will be made on the basis of the documentation sent, followed by a possible interview in the English language (remotely). The selections will be made in chronological order with respect to the date of receipt of the application until all available places are filled.
To take part in the selection process, the application form must be completed online within the following deadlines:
- Italian/foreign citizens with a qualification obtained in Italy by January 12th, 2021.
- Non-EU citizens with qualifications obtained abroad by December 2020.
Tuition and Fees
The Specializing Master costs €16.500 (€16.000 participation fee + €500 enrollment fee at the Politecnico di Milano) exempt VAT Art. 10 DPR 633/72.
For students graduated from the Politecnico di Milano and from the University of Gastronomic Sciences di Pollenzo the enrollment fee is €14.500 (€14.000 participation fee + €500 enrollment fee to the Politecnico di Milano)
About the School
POLI.design operates in the field of design acting as an interface between universities, companies, and professional organizations, institutions, and bodies.