Limited access to financial services, or financial exclusion, is a challenging reality for an important share of the world’s population in both developing and developed countries. Financial exclusion is highly linked with poverty and it exacerbates situations of social exclusion. Public and international aid institutions have shown their limits in alleviating poverty. On the contrary, social innovations, such as the microfinance movement, provide market-based solutions to fight poverty and social exclusion by improving access to financial services. These social innovations are one of the main focus of this MSc.
Our MSc course is designed to teach responsible finance concepts, principles and framework in the context of the traditional component of MSc in Finance such as financial markets, corporate governance, risk management, etc.. Our MSc is also built at the same time to provide with the fundamental economic and financial skills required to strengthen participants’ skills in banking and financial activities. Knowledge is applied to different financial products and is aimed at aligning investors´ financial objectives with the social responsibility concern and challenge.
Our MSc prepares for a wide range of careers where young professionals in long-term financial management and asset management increasingly need to understand the challenges of sustainability and corporate responsibility.
Graduates could engage both in traditional position armed from the responsible finance concepts such as roles within financial directions, banks and institutions, or directly work in a position related to responsible finance (microfinance departments, NGOs, etc.) or create their own business (start’ups, etc.).
- Duration: 10 months
- Intake: once a year in September
- Mode: Full time
- Credits: 90 ECTS
- Language: entirely taught in English
- Location: Montpellier Business School campus
- Tuition fees: 13 900 €
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent
- English test: a minimum score of TOEFL 80/120 or TOEIC 785/990 or IELTS 6/9 or M.B.S. English test B2 (free)
- Relevant professional goals
- You will have to complete the online application form (which can be saved and completed over time)
- Selected applicants will be scheduled for admission interviews via videoconference or at Montpellier Business School
- Copy of passport
- One passport photograph
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Copies of highest diploma obtained
- Copies of transcripts of records from the past three years. Please provide an English translation of your documents if they are written in other languages than French and English
- Proof of English Language Proficiency: minimum score of TOEFL 80/120, IELTS 6/9 or TOEIC 785/990 or Montpellier Business School English test (free) B2. Candidates with previous English studies are exempted.
The MSc in Responsible Finance aspires to build a new generation of managers, willing to develop innovative solutions to promote responsible finance and financial inclusion worldwide. Our main objectives are:
- To familiarize students with social business models in both developed and developing countries.
- To investigate alternative banking solutions aiming at financial inclusion and poverty alleviation.
- To train highly qualified professionals aware of societal issues and willing to generate a positive impact, regardless of their activity.
- To train high potential young managers able to address the complexities of responsible investment and financial decisions in organizations
- To create a multi-cultural environment favoring diversity, passionate discussions, common bonds and creative projects.
- Courses, topics and case studies have been selected in order to offer students a fundamental understanding of responsible finance applicable to different finance and banking professions.
Fundamentals of management (24 ECTS):
- Advanced Strategic Finance
- Foundations of Risk & Asset Pricing Theory
- Fixed Income, Options, Derivatives
- Introduction to big data and business analytics
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Financial Markets, Banking & Regulation
- Soft Skills Development
Specialization in Responsible Finance (15 ECTS):
- Microfinance contracts & products
- Green banking
- Social & cooperative banking, responsible investing
- Assessment of the social and financial performance of microfinance institutions
- Fintech solutions & digital finance
- Social enterprises & business models
- Impact of diversity, gender, etc., on various financial institutions performance
- Commercialization of social enterprises
- Project business game: Sustainable business planning
Business projects (21 ECTS):
- Entrepreneurial Project
MSc Thesis (30 ECTS)
MSc in Responsible Finance welcomes students from diverse international, academic and professional backgrounds. Candidates without prior finance training will benefit from our integration program and specific support after admission to prepare for the start of the program (e-learning contents, etc.)
This specialization prepares students to engage in the following types of organizations: social and financial rating companies, international and national NGOs such as Positive Planet, SOS Faim, ADA, BRS, CERISE, France Active, Initiative France, etc., international aid organizations, microfinance institutions, social investment funds, social finance departments of mainstream banks, social enterprises, European institutions, etc.
Our graduate could also consider pursuing their studies in academia (Ph.D., DBA, etc.).
All students willing to engage in the creation of business could benefit from the support of M.B.S. Entrepreneurship Center, our incubator, with the expertise of our experiences and dedicated coaches.
M.B.S. and its Chair in Microfinance in Developed Countries created in partnership with the microfinance institution Créa-Sol and Caisse d’Epargne Languedoc-Roussillon.
C.D.C., A.F.D., mainstream banks. To be completed.
Program taught in: