Technological innovation applied to financial services is reshaping the global financial system and is expected to disrupt it very strongly over the next decade. This revolution creates a recent but strong demand from graduates and employees have gained the skills required for a changing financial services industry. Our MSc in Innovative Finance is a 10-month program preparing students to become agents of this revolution in the banking and financial markets industry and/or participate in financial entrepreneurial ventures. M.B.S. offers students a true multi-cultural and international experience on our campus-based in Montpellier, South of France.
Fintech (i.e Financial Technology) is strongly taking over the finance industry (+75% annual growth, more than 50bn USD annual investments in the sector). Blockchains and digital approaches are revolutions across an increasingly wider range of sectors. Digital money and cryptocurrencies (including bitcoins) are changing the way money and networks are though, organized and valued.
To address the challenges, our MSc provides with a rare opportunity by bridging relevant and non-overly technical aspects of computer science, economics, banking, finance and law. It benefits from both relevant and applied theoretical and practical contributions, facilitated by both seasoned professionals and internationally recognized academics.
Students will develop their general finance skills and explore the different ways to transpose this knowledge and expertise to the financial and banking industry with both a solid foundation (allowing students to join more traditional career paths and jobs in banking) and a very original and relevant specialization in Innovative finance. Business projects throughout the year will pace the academic experience and give students the opportunity to gain valuable work and real-life experience.
Our MSc is opened to all students and does not require prior general or technical knowledge related to FinTech, blockchain or cryptocurrencies. The goal of the program is to allow students of various background (general management, engineers, economists, social sciences, etc.) to position themselves for a wide range of careers in banking without aiming to produce technical specialists but rather well informed, agile, disruptive and efficient young graduates.
Students will have the chance to participate in different seminars, workshops and meetings, where companies come to our campus to meet their future managers and high-quality interns. Our career center and alumni network are also providing students with a full range of workshops and tools to enhance their career.
- Duration: 10 months
- Intake: once a year in September
- Mode: Full time
- Credits: 90 ECTS
- Language: entirely taught in English
- Location: Montpellier Business School campus
- Tuition fees: 13 900 €
- A Bachelor degree or equivalent
- English test: a minimum score of TOEFL 80/120 or TOEIC 785/990 or IELTS 6/9 or M.B.S. English test B2 (free)
- Relevant professional goals
- You will have to complete the online application form (which can be saved and completed over time)
- Selected applicants will be scheduled for admission interviews via videoconference or at Montpellier Business School
- Copy of passport
- One passport photograph
- Curriculum vitae/resume
- Copies of highest diploma obtained
- Copies of transcripts of records from the past three years. Please provide an English translation of your documents if they are written in other languages than French and English
- Proof of English Language Proficiency: minimum score of TOEFL 80/120, IELTS 6/9 or TOEIC 785/990 or Montpellier Business School English test (free) B2. Candidates with previous English studies are exempted.
- Courses and business projects: Academic year from September to June
- MSc Thesis: September to August
- Graduation: December
Fundamentals of management (24 ECTS):
- Advanced Strategic Finance
- Foundations of Risk & Asset Pricing Theory
- Fixed Income, Options, Derivatives
- Introduction to big data and business analytics
- Entrepreneurial Finance
- Financial Markets, Banking & Regulation
- Soft Skills Development
Specialization in FinTech, Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies (15 ECTS):
- Introduction to Cryptocurrencies and digital money
- Bitcoins, Ethereum,
- Blockchain, Innovation management and Disruptive technology
- Smart Contracts
- Ethics, Cyber Security, Data protection and Regulation
- FinTech app development
Business projects (21 ECTS):
- Entrepreneurial Project
MSc Thesis (30 ECTS)
Key Faculty leading the program
Montpellier Business School, a leading research business school in Europe, has been actively researching cryptocurrencies for the last three years and its faculty published some of the most recent impactful contributions in this emerging field. M.B.S. is also located in a very entrepreneurial area, with the presence of world-renowned incubators and accelerators that have given birth to key new actors in the Fintech industry.
+ Access provided to students to our incubator M.B.S. Entrepreneurship Center, coaching offered to any students willing to engage into an entrepreneurial venture.
- Bachelor degree or higher
- English proficiency: IELTS 6/9, B2
Our MSc aims at solidifying the knowledge of anyone who wishes to be directly involved in the FinTech or digital currency sphere, seeking to become well recognized and compensated finance professionals, entrepreneurs or government/regulation officials. Our MSc also offers the opportunity to join the banking and financial markets industry with a valuable differentiating initial training in the disruptive and innovative trends that are instrumental in shaping the future of money, banking and financial ventures across the world.
Large, existing financial institutions are seeking professionals able to embrace the new drivers that will shape the banking and financial industry with a disruptive but pragmatic vision and abilities.
Smaller, newer companies are also thriving to find talented graduates to develop innovative technologies.
Positions in funds, venture capital firms and investment companies are also a possibility since investment decisions are also challenged by the emergence of these new trends raising questions such as the speculating or hedging properties of bitcoins and other digital currencies, the new ventures and early seeds in FinTech, etc..
The lack of trained graduate worldwide is underlined in all recent studies and market surveys. Google Trends charts and the number of job listings for blockchain/cryptocurrencies also confirm the opportunities for our graduates.
- Investment analyst
- Banking industry
- Careers in Bitcoins and Ethereum
- Digital currencies specialist/blogger/expert
- Financial Innovations consultants
- Business developer
Program taught in: