The aim of the study programme is to provide students with knowledge and skills necessary for the work in landscape architecture as qualified specialists who are able to carry out research activities, analysis, development planning, maintenance, revitalization and management of territory improvement and greenery arrangement of landscapes, public outdoor space and private outdoor space independently or in a team.
The content of the programme ensures the acquisition of the master’s level knowledge which envisages to study theoretical study courses and study courses of sub-disciplines, acquire the basics of the research activities, methods of research, gain the necessary knowledge and experience during traineeship.
The graduates of the programme are able to:
- understand the importance of heritage landscapes and nature heritage in the development of the economy;
- develop the guidelines, methodology and recommendations for landscape management, protection, preservation and restoration;
- deal with the problems of science and practice in consulting and design companies/organisations, national and municipal institutions;
- apply the acquired academic knowledge when dealing with ecological, aesthetic and social problems of the landscape in preserving cultural and nature heritage and ensuring landscape sustainability;
- organise the process of work in cooperation with the specialists of related sectors, plan and manage the work, work in teams in accordance with the project development time schedule.
The research is performed in the following directions: landscape design, landscape architecture, landscape planning. This programme is completed with the elaboration and defence of a Master’s thesis.
Applicants with completed bachelor`s degree education in landscape architecture are approved for admission to the programme. Applicants must be able to present good English knowledge (minimum - CEFR level B2, IELTS score 6.0, TOEFL score 520, TOEFL-iBT score 68 ).
Career prospects and further studies
Our graduates work in all kinds of architecture, design, research companies. They can cover both urban and rural areas and ensure that implemented projects are qualitative and sustainable. Our specialists are able to designs different scale landscapes - residential areas, parks, shopping centres, parkways, golf courses, school campuses etc.
Master's degree entitles graduates to continue studies in a respective Doctoral study programme at universities in Latvia or abroad.
Why study Landscape Architecture at the Latvia University of Agriculture?
- Professional and knowledgeable academic staff.
- The research work in architecture science deals with the solution of topical problems in the urban environment, cultural-historical rural environment, the process of changes in nature foundation and new landscape elements and factors.
- You will have the opportunity to study in an international and multidisciplinary environment since there is cooperation with the Estonian, Lithuanian, Norwegian, Danish and Swedish universities. Within the framework of Erasmus network LE: NOTRE Thematic Network Project, students have an opportunity to participate in international study courses online and get acquainted with the international experience.
- Summer Schools, teamwork in research projects, solving current ecological, social and aesthetical problems, opportunities to publish research works in the Scientific Journal "Landscape Architecture and Art".
- Modern environment for creative work in the reconstructed historic hunting palace Valdeka.