The High-Level International Training Curriculum in Vehicle Lighting Systems
The vehicle lighting sector is currently undergoing major changes with new technologies such as LED lights, as well as new and complex lighting systems functionalities. This changing landscape provides an opportunity to explore new avenues for innovations based on lasers, smart lighting solutions, and new lighting functionalities. Therefore, three major Engineering Schools in Transportation Engineering (ESTACA), Optical Sciences (Institut d’Optique Graduate School) and Design (STRATE – Ecole de design) join their experience in engineer training to develop a high-level international Advanced program designed for training cross-skilled engineers for the field of vehicle embedded lighting systems. The training structures are strongly connected to research and actively supported by industrial players.
To train future project managers, department managers and experts in the field of lighting systems. In an integrated vision from design to production including creative design, optical, mechanical and system design, simulation and virtual prototyping, embedded power, and intelligence.
- A high-level international training curriculum, 100% in English, with a broad international attendance (students from Korea, China, Spain, USA, France in the last session).
- Leading-edge and pioneer in lighting systems, with LEDs, laser sources, intelligent systems, to prepare for future lighting systems in Automotive or Aerospace, providing both theoretical and hands-on knowledge for all lighting applications.
- In a fast-growing domain, outperforming systematically the global automotive growth, thanks to the strong increase of the technical content, and forecasting to recruit +15% to +30% engineers between 2014 and 2020.
- A program run by leading experts in the field of vehicle embedded lighting systems tailor-made to suit industry needs, with the strong support of industrial partners, currently hiring new graduates worldwide.
- A program delivered by higher education institutions in optics, embedded systems, and design in Paris area in France.
- A postgraduate degree accredited by CGE (Conférence des Grandes Ecoles - France's top-ranking engineering colleges): “Advanced Master” ("Mastère spécialisé©" in French), undergoes a rigorous accreditation procedure that guarantees the program’s quality.
400 hours of academic coursework (in 2016, from September 5th to December 16th)
6 sessions cover optics & photonics for lighting (Institut d’optique graduate school), they include:
- Basic training in optics and photonics; sciences, technology, and applications of light sources including lamps, discharge tubes, LEDs, OLEDs, and lasers; photometry of sources and optical.
- Systems, colorimetry; Optical systems design and shaping of illumination using complex surfaces, light guides, and diffractive optics; computer-assisted optical design; 2D & 3D photometric.
- Simulations, realistic and physico-realistic rendering of illumination and aspect, measurement and simulation of surface aspects, vision, and cognition.
2 sessions cover embedded systems (ESTACA), they include:
- Embedded electronic driving and regulation of sources; hardware dimensioning; servo controls, actuators, sensors including visible and infrared cameras; Embedded energy management.
- Electrical & electronic vehicle architecture; Embedded intelligence for illumination and driving assistance; system design and CAD.
3 sessions cover related technologies (ESTACA), they include:
- Mechanics and materials: design and CAD, a process including injection, Tools, assembly & plastic welding, surface processing; environment simulation: humidity, thermal, impacts & vibrations.
- Integrated design of embedded lighting systems, prototyping, and industrialization; regulatory requirements: regulations and standards; Patents and industrial property.
1 session covers the creative design of lighting systems (Strate Ecole de design), IT includes:
- Industrial design, awareness, vocabulary, creativity
A professional thesis of 6 months minimum in a lighting company, between January and July.
- Teaching modules assessed via exams and case studies.
- Academic project & Professional thesis assessed with a dissertation.
- In a highly competitive international context, the program meets the needs for advanced skills of all players in the value chain: car manufacturers, lighting systems and components suppliers, and engineering service providers.
- Renault, PSA Peugeot Citroën, Valeo, Automotive Lighting, Osram, Nertrandt, Mentor Graphics
- Lectures, case studies, teamwork project, and management.
Number of credits
- 75 ECTS
- The faculty will be based in Paris-Saclay, near Paris, in the heart of a high-growth area offering dense and diversified scientific and technological potential. Classes, tutorials, and labs will be hosted at ESTACA (Montigny le Bretonneux), Institut d'Optique Graduate School (Paris-Saclay) and Strate – School of Design (Sèvres).
- This program is open to all international and French students holding a Master of Science (preferably in scientific fields). Applicants must prove an engineering degree recognized by the Commission des Titres d’Ingénieurs (Commission for Engineering Degrees), or a master degree or equivalent, or a foreign degree equivalent to one of those.
- Applicants should have English language proficiency at the B2 level (minimum paper-based TOEFL: 575 or TOEIC: 785)
- A limited number of applications, not fulfilling the degree criteria but with outstanding credentials
Information and Admissions
- 13000€: Full Fee
- 11000€: Reduced fee for recently graduated students
- Fee can be reduced by 50% or 100% for a limited number of self-sustained students
About the School
Founded in 1925, ESTACA is a member of ISAE group, 1st world cluster in aerospace training and research. ESTACA is highly specialized in the fields of aeronautics, automotive, space and guided transpo ... Read More