Higher Education in Paraguay
It is important to note that higher education in Paraguay is not something that is readily available. It wasn't until the 1990s that two institutions of higher education entered the country. At that time, National University and Catholic University opened their doors to the public. Since that time, numerous universities and other schools have moved into the country to serve the public. The following is a list of some of the public universities present in the country:
- National University of Asuncion, with its main campus located in San Lorenzo
- National University of Este located in Este
- National University of Pilar, located in Pilar
- National University of Itapua, located in Encarnacion
- National University of Caaguazu, located in Coronel Oviedo.
There are also several private schools now available at the university level. Private schools here may be a higher quality of education for students, but since there is little government control over these organizations, this can range significantly. The following are some of the private universities in Paraguay.
- Catholic University for Women in Asuncion, located in Asuncion
- Columbia University of Paraguay, located in Asuncion
- University del Norte, located in Asuncion
Again, with the limited amount of guidance from the government, many of these colleges and universities will dictate the entry qualifications for international students independently. Additionally, the schools themselves determine tuition rates and eligibility. There is no public health care available to international students who may need it. For this reason, most students will need to bring their own policies and financial means to cover the necessary medical care.
Travel Visa for Students
Students planning to study in Paraguay will need to have a student visa. This includes a letter from the school that shows the specific reason for the visit. Students may also be required to show proof of the ability to pay for their needs during their stay. Schools offering international student education will help students to find housing or other accommodations, but this is often not a part of tuition costs.