The MA / PG Cert Career Development course has been designed to equip you with the skills, qualities and knowledge required of a professional practitioner working in the career development sector, enabling you to meet the needs of clients in a variety of settings.
The course is suited to the needs of students wishing to enter employment within the sector, as well as those already employed in career development or related roles.
Rather than commit to the full MA, you can choose to study a Postgraduate Certificate (PG Cert) in Career Development. Those studying on the full-time MA will have the option of completing the Qualification in Career Development (QCD) award accredited by the Career Development Institute (CDI) professional body.
Why choose the MA / PG Cert Career Development?
- NTU has successfully been teaching career guidance courses since 1973, and has established a strong national reputation in this field. You’ll benefit from a broad spectrum of contemporary thinking and debate on careers education, information, advice, guidance and coaching, and you’ll develop the skills to make a positive impact on the sector and the profession.
- The curriculum offers flexibility – you have the choice of studying full-time or by blended learning, and there are module options to help you develop specialisms.
- This course is ideal if you’re looking to find employment in the sector, or are already employed in a career development or related role and seek Continuing Professional Development opportunities (CPD).
- The CDI has commended the course’s excellent teaching team and blended learning innovations, recognising them with the 2015 CDI Career Development Award for Best Practice in the Use of Technology in Career Development.
Core modules (for both the PG Cert and MA) may include:
- Ethical Stances and Professional Practices
- Frameworks for Professional Practice
Additional MA Career Guidance modules may include:
- Optional module: Qualification in Career Development Professional Standards (QCD) - Career Development Institute (CDI) accredited
- Optional module: Labour Market Information (LMI)
- Core module: Research Methods and Dissertation / Service Evaluation
For more information on the modules you may study on this course please visit our website.
Delivery and assessment
A blended learning approach is taken towards the delivery of both the PG Cert and the MA, comprising of online teaching and learning activities and face-to-face workshop days.
- For the PG Cert, face-to-face input will take place at workshop days (six in total).
- For the MA, there is initially a greater proportion of face-to-face input supported by online teaching and learning activities.
For both qualifications, you’ll engage in a range of teaching and learning methods. These will include lectures, online activities, case study investigations, simulation exercises or role plays, interactive or group learning, and real-life practice and application of skills through University links and school partners.
Assessment methods are varied and accommodate a variety of learning styles and preferences. These include written assignments such as case studies or enquiry-based reports, and reflective and skills-based assessments including one-to-one guidance sessions and group work.
Your future career
The course aims to equip you with attributes that are highly sought after by employers within the career development and employability sector. On completion, you should be able to reflect upon practice and performance, and to identify continuing professional development (CPD) and personal development needs, allowing you to adapt and respond to the contextual needs of clients, employers, and the sector.
Fees and funding
For information about fees and possible funding opportunities visit www.ntu.ac.uk/s3fees
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 5, 2017