With the arrival of new broadcasting platforms, the documentary is in a period of transformation and adaptation. Today the documentary, more than ever, offers a vision about the realities of this world and is currently accessible to the most difficult markets to reach.
The diversification of formats and opening of markets thus allow us to propose diverse stories and content. The borders, both at the level of content, language, territory and environment are currently very narrow. This change can be perceived as a creative source and models the content of the master's program in three main main axes:
- The way of telling the stories (the formats)
- How the stories (platforms) look
- Who do we tell the stories to (the market)
The Master in Documentary Film offers students a comprehensive experience in this media landscape that is transformed by new technologies, developing the narrative, creative and technical aspects of the discipline. The course consists of a theoretical base in constant dialogue with a practical aspect, whose objective is to carry out documentaries made by the students of the master's degree in each of its phases: development, production, shooting and post-production, placing great emphasis on the importance to better understand how we can position our documentaries in a broader and more viable context.
Presentation of a portfolio and a first approach to a documentary project.
Who is it for?
University graduates in Audiovisual Communication, Fine Arts or other university level degrees related to the audiovisual field. Professionals from the cinematographic or audiovisual sector who want to deepen the practice of creating documentaries.
- Know, assimilate and put into practice the main tools of the documentary language.
- Have a knowledge of the different documentary sub-genres, from the most industrial documentary series for large platforms or the hybrid documentary working between fiction and non-fiction, to the most radical or peripheral author documentary languages.
- Encourage students to find their own creative path, their point of view as a narrator and develop their audiovisual works so that they can have visibility beyond the academic field.
- Understand and learn, through constant feedback with active professional teachers, the industrial panorama of documentary cinema at national and international level.
- Understand cinema as a team effort, where each role plays a fundamental role for the final result.
The methodology of the master is based on several axes of work:
- A final master's degree project in which students are placed in a context of real production, as experienced in the professional world. The projects will show the various stages of production of a documentary, from conception to putting it on the market. The projects are chosen at the beginning of the year and can take different forms: pilot series episodes, single documentary, documentary short or medium-length film, etc. Students divided into teams of four or five people must generate a complete dossier for the sale of their project. Subsequently, within the master's program, the projects will be produced so that they are ready to participate in international markets.
- Theoretical classes through which a panoramic view of the history of documentary cinema and of theoretical aspects related to non-fiction will be given.
- Practical workshops led by active professionals. Guides and conditions will be given and each student will shoot different practices, both individually and in groups. The subsequent edition and comments of the same will also be supervised and later shared with the entire course, in order to open a space for dialogue and feedback.
- Meetings with directors, producers, editors and other relevant personalities from the documentary universe. These classes may take the form of intensive workshops lasting several days or thematic master classes in one session, in person or via the network.
Why become part of the ESCAC Community?
You will become part of the ESCAC Community, which will allow you to develop your talent in an environment where creative spaces and interaction between graduates of different promotions are promoted. Did you know that Javier Ruiz Caldera continues to shoot his films with ESCAC colleagues? The same as Juan Antonio Bayona, Mar Coll, Kike Maíllo, Patricia Font ... because ESCAC does not end when you finish your studies, the Community continues in the professional sector.
This is the best time in history to dedicate yourself to Audiovisual: there has never been such a variety of screens at the service of so many users. These screens need content to supply products to a global audience, and consequently, large technology companies invest in audiovisual creation.
ESCAC talent. Graduates with nationally and internationally recognized careers have been trained at our school. Film directors, producers, cinematographers, editors, VFX supervisors ... Look at the credits of the movies and series, you will find in them a lot of ESCAC talent.
Our pedagogical system is based on learning by doing. We want you to learn by doing, and you will do it accompanied by the best professionals in the sector.
At ESCAC we train storytellers. We will teach you to tell your story regardless of the specialty you have chosen.
The works of graduates and the school's producer (ESCAC Films) have been recognized with more than 500 national and international awards:
- Year after year our graduates are among the nominees for the Goya and Gaudí Awards, obtaining 20 Goya Awards and more than 30 Gaudí Awards.
- In addition, they have won important awards at international festivals: Award for Best International Short Film awarded by the Sundance Festival (2006), or third prize at Cinefoundation - awarded by the Cannes Festival (2015).
At ESCAC we have the collaboration of large companies and institutions that participate in the training of our students. Movistar, Department of Culture of the Generalitat de Catalunya, SGAE Foundation, Cinesa, Zeta Cinema, Film Factory, Filmax, Deaplaneta, Mediaset, etc.
International campus: In these 25 years, more than 5,500 students of 23 different nationalities have passed through our campus, which contribute to the cultural and community enrichment.
Our school is recognized by CILECT (an organization that brings together the best film schools worldwide), and we are the only one in the state with official recognition.
ESCAC trains its students based on transversal competences, providing knowledge and tools to develop a subsequent professional activity in any field of content creation.
About the School
El cine no se estudia, se aprende. Centro Universitario con titulación oficial lider en la formación de cineastas. Por nuestras aulas han pasado profesionales de la talla de J.A.Bayona (Director de J ... Read More