Subject: Call for Applications for Master’s Degree Programme
The Department of Sports Organization and Management of the Faculty of Human Movement and Quality of Life Sciences of the University of Peloponnese with the support of the International Olympic Academy organizes for the Academic year of 2020-21 the Master’s Degree Programme with the title "Olympic Studies, Olympic Education, Organization and Management of Olympic Events".
The Master’s Degree Programme in Olympic Studies constitutes an innovation in the Olympic Movement at an international level and is supported by the Olympic Solidarity (International Olympic Committee) with a number of scholarships. The educational programme is based on the three pillars of the Olympic Movement: Education, Sports, and Culture, which constitute the foundation for Olympism and Olympic Pedagogy.
The philosophy of the programme is consistent with the philosophy of the Olympic movement for the diffusion of the Olympic ideal worldwide, the promotion of knowledge and research in Olympic issues and equal global participation.
The Master’s degree Programme’s title is “Olympic Studies, Olympic Education, Organization and Management of Olympic Events” (MSc).
- The promotion of knowledge and research on issues of Olympic philosophy and Olympic Pedagogy, Olympic Education, organization and management of Olympic Games, Mega-events and in general Olympic and sports studies.
- To provide students with specialized knowledge at a postgraduate level on issues related to Olympic studies as well as the necessary means for their academic, professional or research career.
- To provide a specialized workforce that will organize and direct Olympic and athletic institutions, promote the growth of programmes of Olympic education on an international level and that will contribute to the creation of scientific background for the growth and organization of sports.
The following categories of students may be admitted to the Master’s Degree Programme; Bachelor degree holders from Greek and foreign Higher Educational Institutions, preferably officials of National Olympic Academies, National Olympic Committees, the International Olympic Committee, International Federations, National Federations and EU Committees for Education, Culture and Sport or researchers of Centers for Olympic Studies, Schools of Sports Organization and Management, Physical Education, Journalism, Economic Faculties and other Departments, as well as corresponding Departments of recognized institutions of equivalent status in Greece and abroad. The number of students is limited to forty (40).
Duration Of Programme
The duration of the programme is three (3) semesters.
Students are required to attend two semesters of lectures in Greece. The third semester is dedicated to the preparation of the master thesis at the student’s place.
Dates of Lectures in Greece:
First Semester: 10/09/2020-15/11/2020
Second Semester: 08/04/2021- 20/06/2021 (These dates may be subject to change)
Third Semester: 09/2021- 02/2022 (thesis preparation).
The programme takes place at the facilities of the International Olympic Academy in Ancient Olympia and the facilities of the University of Peloponnese in Sparta, Greece.
The presence of the students at all the lectures is mandatory and the submission of module assignments and examinations at the end of each semester as well as the dissertation project at the end of the 3rd semester will determine the success of the participants in this programme.
Μ.1.1- The history and philosophy of sport in Antiquity: the birth of sport and its evolution
Μ.1.2- The modern Olympic Games (revival, historic development of the Summer and Winter Olympic Games – social, political and cultural aspects of the Olympic Games – Olympic Institutions – Olympic Law)
Μ.1.3- Olympic Pedagogy I: Development and implementation of Olympic education programmes in schools
Μ.1.4- Sport and Ethics – Olympic Philosophy
Μ.1.5- Research methods in Social Sciences and Olympic Studies
Μ.2.1- Olympic Pedagogy II: Development and implementation of Olympic education programmes in schools
Μ.2.2- Olympic Games and major sports events: organization and management
Μ.2.3- Sports marketing and Olympic sponsoring
Optional Modules (2 from below)
Ο1- Olympic Movement and International relations
Ο2- Sports high performance: Olympic athletes and dual careers
Ο3- Strategic and operational planning of major sports events
Ο4- Financial management of sports organizations
Ο5- The role, organization and operation of Olympic museums and libraries.
Preparation, submission and presentation of Master’s Thesis.
All lectures are held in English.
Costs and Fees
The tuition fees for the programme payable by the students are 3.000,00 Euros (cost per student) for the three semesters. They are due and payable in two (2) installments. The rest of the total cost of the programme is covered by the IOA and sponsors: accommodation and half boarding for nine weeks per semester (duration of lectures), group transportation from Athens to Ancient Olympia and Sparta and travelling costs for the educational tours (accommodation, boarding, transportation, museum visits) in the prefecture of Peloponnese (4 days) and Northern Greece (4 days). There is also the possibility of providing scholarships offered by other institutions, i.e. Olympic Solidarity. Applicants who are interested in applying for a scholarship may declare it in the application form and contact their National Olympic Committees and National Olympic Academies for further information.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE- DOCUMENTS REQUIRED
The following required documents for the application have to be certified and some of them translated as requested below:
- Application form using the respective programme’s form
- Clear photocopy of bachelor degree (or degrees) from Greek or foreign Higher Education Institutions proving full time studies with a duration of at least three years
- An official bachelor degree transcript (grades from all subjects and from all the years of study, including the degree’s grade and stating the date of award)
- Clear photocopy of a certificate that includes the bachelor’s thesis title and its grade (if applicable)
- Clear photocopy of postgraduate studies degree (or degrees) (if applicable)
- Clear photocopy of any language certificate proving a) good knowledge of English language and b) adequate level of knowledge in any other language
- CV – extended curriculum vitae that includes a detailed description of studies, professional experience, research and/or scientific work as well as any extracurricular activities
- Documents supporting the above mentioned professional experience and research activity of the applicant i.e. copy of publications in scientific journals, copy of any published work etc (if applicable)
- Clear photocopy of Passport or ID Card (ID Card only for European Countries)
- Two recent passport size photographs with adequate identification
- Certification proving any participation in sports activities, in IOA activities, in seminars on Olympic Education or in any sport event organization (if applicable)
- A recommendation letter from a University Professor.
- Other recommendation letters especially from National Olympic Academies or National Olympic Committees or other sport organizations will be taken into consideration
- Evidence of any other activity that can support the candidate’s application
Certification of documents
For Greek applicants:
a)Documents from state institutions
Clear photocopy of the original document or of its genuine stamped copy (the stamp must be clearly visible on the photocopy)
Clear photocopy of private documents which have been certified by a lawyer or by a civil service (the stamp must be clearly visible on the photocopy)
For foreign applicants:
Clear photocopies of documents issued by foreign authorities which have been certified by the Apostille certification, by the Greek Embassy/Consulate or by a Greek lawyer are accepted (the stamp must be clearly visible on the photocopy). All other document copies must be certified by an official institution. Certified copies of degrees and transcripts are also accepted if issued by a Higher Education Institution and sent in the Institution’s official stamped and sealed envelopes.
The short listed applicants will be interviewed via skype.
Applicants should send all the required documents via email and in hard copies till the 31st of May 2020 to the Secretariat of the Master’s Degree programme at the following address:
About the School
The International Olympic Academy functions as a multicultural interdisciplinary centre that aims at studying, enriching and promoting Olympism. The foundation of such an institution was inspired by t ... Read More