The Master’s Degree Programme for the Olympic Studies constitutes an innovation in the Olympic Movement at an international level and is supported by the Olympic Solidarity (International Olympic Committee). The educational programme is based on the three pillars of the Olympic Movement: Education, Sports and Culture, which constitute the foundation for Olympism and Olympic Pedagogy.
The philosophy of the programme is consistent with the values of the Olympic movement for the diffusion of the Olympic ideal worldwide, the promotion of knowledge and research in Olympic issues and global participation.
The duration of the programme is three (3) semesters. Students are required to attend two semesters of lectures in Greece and the third semester is done at student’s place. Dates of Lectures in Greece: First Semester: 15/9/2016-18/11/2016 Second Semester: 6/4/2017-11/6/2017 The dates of the second semester are subject to change.
The programme takes place at the facilities of the International Olympic Academy in Ancient Olympia and the facilities of the University of Peloponnese in Sparta, Greece.
The presence of the students at all the lectures is mandatory and the submission of module assignments and examinations at the end of each semester as well as the dissertation project at the end of the 3rd semester will determinate the success of the participants in this programme.
- The promotion of knowledge and research on issues of Olympic philosophy and education, organization and management of Olympic Games, big athletic events and in general Olympic and athletic studies.
- To provide students with specialized knowledge at a postgraduate level on issues related to Olympic Studies as well as the necessary means for their academic, professional or research career.
- To provide a specialized workforce that will organize and direct Olympic and athletic institutions, promote the growth of programmes of Olympic education in international level and that will contribute in the creation of a scientific background for the growth and organization of sports.
- Μ.1.1- The history and philosophy of sport in Antiquity: the birth of sport and its evolution
- Μ.1.2- The modern Olympic Games (revival, historic development of the Summer and Winter Olympic Games – social, political and cultural aspects of the Olympic Games – Olympic Institutions – Olympic Law)
- Μ.1.3- Olympic Pedagogy I: Development and implementation of Olympic education programmes in school.
- Μ.1.4- Sport and Ethics – Olympic Philosophy
- Μ.1.5- Research methods in Social Sciences and Olympic Studies
- Μ.2.1- Olympic Pedagogy II: Development and implementation of Olympic education programmes for schools
- Μ.2.2- Olympic Games and major sports events: organization and management.
- Μ.2.3- Sports marketing and Olympic sponsoring.
Optional (2 from below)
- Ο1- Olympic Movement and International relations
- Ο2- Sports high performance: Olympic athletes and dual careers
- Ο3- Strategic and operational planning of major sports events
- Ο4- Financial management of sports organizations
- Ο5- The role, organization and operation of Olympic museums and libraries.
- Preparation, submission and presentation of Master’s Thesis
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 9, 2018