Resilience is a strong trait of the "persona" of Rome. The eternity of Rome relies on the continuous re-use and re-adaptation of the past to accommodate ephemeral needs. It has always been challenging for Rome to deal with the immense and sometimes intrusive patrimony inherited from the Roman age, to the point to get stuck in a conservative position of immobilism.
But on the other hand, Rome is the Eternal City and has the attributes of being permanent and durable over the centuries. These traits come from the ability of the Romans to re-use, reconvert and accommodate the old materials, artifacts and buildings of the ancient city, built in-fact to stay forever, for the new needs required by the times. Function changes but the essence of Rome has been preserved by recycling and re-using rare materials and scarce resources.
From the Cosmati craftsmen - renowned during the 12th and 13th century for their ability to combine glass mosaic with the re-used precious marble of Roman columns, statues and buildings of the pagan age - up to Ilaria Venturini Fendi you can see a fil rouge holding together past, present and future of the Roman craftsmanship and converging into features of durability, uniqueness, innovation, creativity and continuous research, that are all attributes marking what is considered luxury and what is meant to be sustainable.
"In Euclidean space two parallel lines on the same plane cannot intersect, or cannot meet each other forever. But “Rome is forever”: here luxury and sustainability converge in the space of the bottega, where you are compelled to cope with the inimitable beauty of the past and the scarcity of resources of our century."
— ILARIA VENTURINI FENDI
- IDEATE, PROTOTYPE AND TEST A FASHION PRODUCT-BRAND (90hrs) under the supervision of Ilaria Venturini Fendi and her staff of dedicated designers
- Work on projects which integrate students from different disciplines
- Recognize and define the intersections and limits of different design-based disciplines
- Experience thinking, discussing and designing in different scales on requirements related to function, esthetics, and context
- Experience group work
- Produce working drawings of artifacts and work with new, unusual or innovative materials
- Learn how to design their own brand
- Study Italian language and explore Italian culture
Throughout the program, participants will have the possibility to choose and explore 4 electives out of the following modules:
- ART, FASHION & DESIGN (42hrs). From the idea to the product, the impact of art and the multiple layers of Rome and its eternity upon Italian fashion and design
- ITALIAN ENTREPRENEURSHIP & INNOVATION (42hrs). The critical success factors of the Made in Italy brand
- ITALIAN LUXURY BRANDS (42hrs). How Italians have faced the challenges posed by globalization and luxury massification
- COMMUNICATION STRATEGIES FOR FASHION (42hrs). The essentials of fashion writing, image and brand design, digital PR and social media management, new apps and metrics for successful trend-spotting and self branding
- VISUAL STORYTELLING (42hrs). How to use visuals to tell the story of your brand
Internship opportunities At the end of this program the 3 best qualified students after the final studio projects' presentation will be given the possibility to conduct internship experiences of minimum 8 weeks and free of charge, in the companies that are part of the BAU network.
Internship opportunities will be also available for the other participants upon request, availability and payment of a 300 € fee.
Certificate of attendance
At the end of each program enrolled students, who have attended at least 80% of the classes and successfully complete all required exams and projects, will receive a Certificate of attendance. An examination board composed of academicians and entrepreneurs will assess the final project presentation and award the student’s final certificate of attendance.
Deadline: Applicants, especially non european, are strongly suggested to complete the enrollment process at least 35 days before the beginning of the selected course.
Following documents are required:
- Enrollment form (available online within the applicant’s personal area)
- Passport or ID for EU students
- Motivation letter
- A copy of the applicant’s degree diploma
- University transcript
The selection is based on the assessment of CV, motivation letter and portfolio. Great attention is paid to the ability to work independently, manage a project conceptualization and actively participate in a highly innovative training experience. Enrollments are limited.
Once admitted, candidates will receive an admission and invitation letter. Every year BAU International Academy of Rome encourage students to apply for the partial grants available through BAU Foundation, when it is applicable, and promotes a number of total grants. For further information please visit the website and download the scholarship application form.
2500 €: accommodation included + 300 € deposit that will be refunded at the moment of check out
5000 €: accommodation included + 300 € euro deposit that will be refunded at the moment of check out
300 €: that will not be refunded in case of visa denial
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 9, 2017