Mechanical Engineering, M.S.
NYIT’s innovative Mechanical Engineering, M.S. program combines fundamental concepts with modern applications. We offer cutting-edge research opportunities and up-to-date coursework in:
- Solid mechanics
- Heat transfer and thermo-fluid systems
- Energy systems
- Biomechanics and biomedical devices
- Controls and dynamical systems
- Sustainable engineering
Our labs and facilities, including our Entrepreneurship and Technology Innovation Center and Fabrication Rapid Prototyping Lab, provide state-of-the-art space for research in bioengineering, assistive technologies, energy, and other related areas. Our 30-credit curriculum offers both thesis and project-based non-thesis options. Both provide the chance to present work at major conferences and publish your findings alongside our faculty experts in peer-reviewed journals.
Test classroom theory in the school's labs. From vacuum ovens to wind tunnels, you'll access the same equipment used by industry professionals.
Skitterphoto / Pexels
- MENG 601 Advanced Engineering Mathematics (3 credits)
- MENG 603 Advanced Thermodynamics (3 credits)
- MENG 604 Fluid Dynamics (3 credits)
- MENG 634 Finite Element Analysis (3 credits)
- MENG 640 Feedback Control of Dynamical Systems (3 credits)
Total: 15 Credits
Students must choose one of two tracks: Thesis option or Non-thesis option.
Option 1: Thesis
- Engineering Electives: Graduate-level (above 600) electives1 (9 credits)
- MENG 660 Mechanical Engineering Research2 (3 credits)
- MENG 661 Mechanical Engineering Thesis3 (3 credits)
Total: 15 Credits
1A minimum of three graduate-level (above 600) elective credits in Mechanical Engineering must be taken, and up to six credits of electives may be taken from other engineering departments, with the approval of the Mechanical Engineering department chair.
2Complete a research project under the supervising of a faculty member. The student must submit a project report to his or her project advisor.
3The student must present and defend a written thesis that must be approved by the thesis advisor and the thesis committee. A formal written thesis will be archived in the NYIT library. All master's theses must strictly adhere to the Master's Thesis Policies and Guidelines published by NYIT's College of Engineering and Computing Sciences.
Within the thesis option, the student must choose an advisor to concentrate on one of the following four specific areas: Design and Solid Mechanics, Energy and Thermal Science, Mechatronics, and Biomedical Devices.
Option 2: Non-Thesis
- Engineering Electives Graduate-level (above 600) electives4 (12 credits)
- MENG 660 Mechanical Engineering Research5 (6 credits)
Total: 15 Credits
4A minimum of six graduate-level elective credits in Mechanical Engineering must be taken, and up to six credits of electives from other engineering departments, with the approval of the Mechanical Engineering Department Chair.
5Working on a research project with a faculty member, the student must submit a project report to his or her project advisor. A passing grade on the course will depend on satisfactory performance as determined by the student's project advisor.
Total Required Credits = 30
Program Advisory Boards
Our College of Engineering and Computing Sciences advisory boards provide guidance to academic departments within the school and promote a continuing relationship between NYIT students, faculty, alumni and industry experts.
The goals of each board include:
- Advising and assisting in academic and professional matters.
- Providing input on current trends in the industry.
- Identifying necessary skills and areas of interest for curriculum development.
- Promoting and enhancing the quality of the programs.
- Identifying projects and funding sources.
An NYIT degree is your passport to an exciting future in an in-demand field. Possible career opportunities for graduates with this degree include:
- Mechanical engineers
- Aerospace engineers
- Automotive engineers
- HVAC engineers
- Thermal engineers
- Manufacturing engineers
- Industrial engineers
- Defense engineers
- Electronics engineers
- Utility engineers
Tuition, Scholarships, & Financial Aid
We believe it's important to offer access to an opportunity for all qualified students. NYIT has one of the lowest private tuitions in New York State and provides more than $40 million in institutional financial aid each year.
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET-accredited program; or
- B.S degree or its equivalent in a closely related field with appropriate prerequisite courses approved by the chairperson of the Mechanical Engineering department.
- Minimum undergraduate G.P.A. 2.85 for full matriculation.
- If you do not satisfy this criterion you may be admitted at the discretion of the dean. Additional criteria include scores on the Graduate Record Examination or other diagnostic tests to assist in the evaluation of an applicant’s credentials.
- Once enrolled in the program, your academic records may be reviewed for performance evaluation and further advancement in the academic program including completion of nine graduate credits and satisfactory performance on prerequisite courses (listed below) when applicable.
- Submit GRE scores
- Graduates of foreign universities are required to take the GRE and submit their scores.
- If you have a GPA below 2.85, you may, at the discretion of the dean, be asked to take the GRE or other diagnostic tests. Admission will be based upon consideration of test results, previous academic performance, and related employment, if applicable.
- Up to six transfer credits from an accredited graduate program may be granted for appropriate courses in which a minimum grade of B was earned.
- For students with an insufficient background for admission into the M.S. in Mechanical Engineering program, the following prerequisite or equivalent courses may be required:
- MENG 221 Strength of Materials (3 credits)
- MENG 212 Engineering Mechanics II (Dynamics) (3 credits)
- MENG 240 Thermodynamics (3 credits)
- MENG 310 Introduction to Material Science (3 credits)
- At least two courses from the group: MENG 340 Fluid Mechanics, MENG 370 Machine Design, MENG 324 Vibrations and System, MENG 349 Heat Transfer. Note: Credits earned for the courses above will not be counted toward the 30 credits required for the degree.
General Application Materials
- Completed application.
- $50 nonrefundable application fee.
- Copies of undergraduate transcripts for all schools attended. All final, official transcripts must be received prior to the start of your first semester.
- Copy of college diploma or proof of degree.
- Official GRE scores, if required. NYIT GRE Code: 2561
- International student requirements: English proficiency, I-20, and transcript evaluation.
Fellowships and Assistantships
Research fellowships and teaching assistantships are available to qualified candidates. These opportunities are usually for a 10-month period and may include partial remission of tuition and fees.
About the School
Explore New York Institute of Technology—a dynamic, highly ranked, and accredited not-for-profit university committed to educating the next generation of leaders, and to inspiring innovation and advan ... Read More