The demand for IT professionals who understand business has never been greater. As a student in the WPI MS in Information Technology program, you’ll be immersed into information technology and comprehensive management principles necessary for understanding the application of IT to business. You will learn how to create business opportunities by leveraging existing and emerging information technology with business intelligence. The program will prepare you to take on a leadership role at the forefront of technological and business innovations.
The MS in Information Technology 36-credit program curriculum draws from WPI’s strengths in technology, engineering, and science. Classes explore a wide range of cutting-edge topics, including the organizational and technological challenges of enterprise systems, security management, systems development life cycle, and information systems innovation.
MSIT students must complete the following five required course. MIS500 must be completed in the student’s first semester:
- Innovating with Information Systems
- Database Applications Development
- Systems Design and Development
- Telecommunications Management
- Group and Interpersonal Dynamics in Complex Organizations
MSIT students then must complete electives, distributed as follows:
Management, choose one from the following list:
- Financial Information and Management
- Interpersonal and Leadership Skills
IT, choose four from the following list:
- Project Management
- Information Technology Policy and Strategy
- Information Security Management
- User Experience Applications
- Business Intelligence
Two free electives, which may include courses outside of management and a maximum of three credits of internship.
Organizations in all sectors seek IT managers who not only possess technical expertise but can apply business principles to guide complex systems and understand how IT affects individuals, corporations, and society. Type of occupations include:
- Computer and Information Research Scientists
- Computer Programmer
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Database Administrators
Resources for International Students
The International House provides ongoing programs and essential services to assist, guide, and support international students and scholars in their transition to U.S. society and academic culture.
A technology-centric world needs business-savvy professionals
The Foisie Business School graduate admissions team will help you find the right degree program for your career goals, guide you through the application process, and, if you are admitted, assure you are on the right track for success.
WPI generally attracts candidates with backgrounds in engineering, science, and information technology, but many of our graduate business students are also marketers, entrepreneurs, researchers, financial managers, and medical practitioners. Whatever your focus when you come in, you will leave with a keen business sense for a technology-centric world. WPI graduate business students are bright, hardworking, committed individuals from across the globe and industry spectrum.
WPI is accepting applications for fall 2019. Scholarships are available.
The following application deadlines apply:
- For U.S. applicants - July 15 (fall) / December 15 (spring)
- For International applicants - June 15 (fall) / November 6 (spring)
- For Ph.D. applicants - February 1 (fall)
After the deadlines have passed, applications are reviewed on a rolling basis.
Required testing information
Any international applicant seeking to attend WPI on an F-1 Student Visa must submit official TOEFL scores or IELTS scores. However, if applicants have two years of continuous full-time college study completed within the last five years, in a country whose official language is English, he or she can apply for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver by contacting an admissions counselor.
While WPI requires a minimum TOEFL score of 84, the Foisie School of Business requires a minimum TOEFL score of 90 or IELTS score of 7. The Foisie School of Business requires a GMAT score of 500 or its equivalent on the GRE. There are no minimum GRE scores, but the average for admitted students over the past three years has been 150 verbal, 165 quantitative, and 3.0 analytical.
- Department/Program: Foisie School of Business
- Online Application Submission Deadline: International applicants should apply by Jun 15 for fall and Nov 6 for spring. Domestic applicants should apply by Jul 15 for fall and Dec 15 for spring. Decisions are made on a rolling basis.
- All Credentials Deadline: We recommend completing your application within 15-30 days of submission. An interview may be offered once all credentials have arrived.
- Official transcripts for all post-secondary colleges or universities: Required
- Application fee of $70: Required
- Letters of Recommendation: Three letters of professional recommendation from individuals who can comment on your qualifications for pursuing graduate study are required. Please invite your recommenders to submit their letters electronically via the online application. Academically qualified recommendations may be submitted, as needed.
- GRE: GMAT or GRE scores are required; waivers could be available for WPI alumni who have achieved a 3.0 GPA or higher and may be waived for applications with special circumstances.
- Statement of Purpose: Required; a resume is also required.
- Video Essay: Required: Online video interview, completed at your convenience.