The Master of Science in Control Engineering typically follows a three-year (or four-year) bachelor degree, such as the B.S.E. in Computer Science and Control Engineering issued at DIAG, Sapienza (available in similar form also in other italian or foreign universities).
Due to its interdisciplinary nature and methodological approach, this master degree course of study is also a perfect fit for a large variety of students having a bachelor degree with technical/scientific background in the areas of information engineering, industrial engineering, computer science, mathematics, or physics.
The Master of Science in Control Engineering introduces the student to the basic methodologies of Automatic Control such as
- modeling and identification of dynamic systems
- measurement processing and on-line filtering of sensor data
- generalized use of feedback to stabilize the behavior of a process and optimize its performance
- integrated system design of automatic control.
These methods are pervasive in various engineering fields and often necessary to enable the power of other technologies in dealing with advanced applications, both in industrial and service automation.
The two main aspects of a master-level formation in Control Engineering are
- a general approach to the analysis and design of complex automatic control systems
- the capability of implementing such automatic systems by keeping into account the specific nature of the target applications.
Beyond the specific technical know-how in Control Engineering, this course of study will provide tools for describing and understanding the main issues in engineering problems, will develop the capacities for creating, planning, designing, and running automatic systems, processes, and services, and will enhance skills in experimenting scientific innovation. Last but not least, it will introduce students to the correct use of technical English in written and oral form.
A technical interdisciplinary preparation and an open versatile mind are main success factors in the future, increasingly heterogeneous marketplace of ICT and of Automation in general.
With a master degree in Control Engineering you will be able to
- design advanced automatic control systems for complex processes
- conduct and supervise industrial, manufacturing and service processes and systems
In particular, automatic control systems may concern
- energy distribution, communication and transportation networks (smart grids)
- optimal exploitation of alternative energy
- automotive, mechatronics, aerospace (embedded systems)
- monitoring and green control of environmental parameters
- bio-medical applications
Design and implementation skills on these subjects are requested by manufacturing or service companies, public administration, or in your professional activities.
Use of English in courses, participation of students from around the world, and the mix of italian and foreign cultures are factors that will favor employment in international settings. The methodological approach of the course of study allows also to work in base or applied research (in research centers or in R&D departments of companies) or to continue education toward a technical PhD degree.
Career opportunities for graduated in Control Engineering include work positions at
- manufacturers of automation systems and components (automatic control systems for machine tools; robotic, automotive, or aerospace systems)
- end-users of automation products, such as public administration, manufacturers of consumer goods, transportation companies
- companies that design, control, and operate communication networks (telecom operators, manufacturing companies, etc.), energy distribution networks, or transportation networks
- universities and research centers in the ICT and Automation areas
- engineering societes consulting in automation and system integration
Representative professional profiles are
- design engineer of control systems for energy, communication, or transportation networks
- supervising engineer of automation plants and processes
- design engineer of robot, mechatronic, and aerospace control systems
- control expert in process optimization
- control expert in bio-medical systems
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 7, 2017