The Objectives of the programme are to:
- delve into the specific features of open and distance education.
- turn out scholars and professionals in open and distance education.
Courses of Study
Candidates registered in M.Ed (ODL) by coursework and dissertation shall take the following courses:
|ODL 601||Principles of Open and Distance Learning||2||20|
|ODL 602||Instructional Designing and Development of ODL Materials||2||20|
|ODL 603||Media and Technology in Distance Learning||2||20|
|ODL 604||Research and Evaluation in Open and Distance Education||2||20|
The students should select any two of these courses:
|ODL 605||Open and Distance Learning Policy and management||2||20|
|ODL 606||Regional and Global Perspectives in ODL||2||20|
|ODL 607||Teaching and Learning in Open and Distance Learning||2||20|
Minimum Entry Qualifications
The candidate of a Master's degree programme shall hold either;
- A degree which is in the level of second class or above, or
- Unclassified degree which has a B grade or above, or
- A pass degree in which the candidate's performance in education was a B grade or above;
The candidate should satisfy the Faculty of Education that he/she has exhibited academic potential through extensive fieldwork, subsequent research experience and/or additional training.
- Candidates shall be registered to study a Master's degree through distance-self instructional methods either by thesis or by coursework followed by research leading to a dissertation.
- All candidates shall be allocated supervisor(s) appointed by Senate on the recommendation of the Faculty of Education before the end of the coursework.
- A candidate intending to do a Masters programme by thesis should have a long-term experience in research and data analysis and will have to abide by the following procedures:
- Register as a provisional student after satisfying the admission requirements for the programme.
- Submit an acceptable statement of a research topic to the Faculty to obtain provisional registration, and
- Submit within a period of six months a proposal to be approved by the Faculty Postgraduate Studies Committee and Senate to acquire full registration.
- Acquire full registration within three months after the proposal is approved by Senate.
- For those intending to do Masters programme by coursework and Dissertation deadline for registration shall be the end of the fourth week of the academic year.
- All candidates shall be required to have positive recommendations from two or three referees before they are registered.
Duration of Study
Candidates are normally expected to complete their Master's degrees within five years of registration. Failure by the candidate to complete the programme within the specified time shall mean their discontinuation from the study unless the Senate approves an application for extension.
Evaluation of Master's Degree Programmes
- Candidates registered for the coursework and dissertation shall do continuous assessment and examinations. Before they can be allowed to proceed with dissertation research phase, candidates must successfully complete the coursework part with an average grade of 'B' (i.e. GPA of at least 3.0).
- Candidates, studying by coursework shall take a total of 18 units. (i.e. 12 units of coursework and 6 units of dissertation).
- Coursework and Dissertation Masters programmes shall have the following mode of evaluation:
- There shall be a timed test of 30%
- There shall be supervised examinations worth 70% each.
- A dissertation shall be evaluated independently and shall be worth 100%.
Cost & Fees
Non Tuition Fees
|DESCRIPTION||LOCALS (TSH)||EAC/SADC(USD)||NON SADC/EAC (USD)|
|Student Organization fee (paid annually)||20,000||20||20|
|Quality assurance fee (paid annually)||20,000||20||40|
|Coursework Examination fee per paper||20,000||40||60|
Tution Fee per Unit for Taught Masters Programmes
|Mode Of Delivery||LOCALS (TSH)||EAC/SADC (USD)||NON EAC/SADC (USD)|
Note: Facilitation is meant to cater for taxes, levies, postage cost, courier services, and phone call charges.This fee is also paid by Tanzanians residing outside Tanzania.
Other Recommended Direct Student Cost For Masters by Coursework/Dissertation Students
|ITEM||LOCALS (TSH)||FOREIGN STUDENTS(USD)|
|Research/Field Costs & Consultations||1,500,000||1,000|
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 27, 2018